Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hub 2 vs Hub 3 (or 4) - in modem mode

Had Hub 2 for about 5 years, always run it in modem mode (Netgear Nighthawk router attached) but getting fed up of having to reboot it around 2-3 times per week. Would I be better off with Hub 3 or 4 (still in modem mode obviously, I know the in-built wifi is poor). If so, can I just phone Virgin and order one?  I don't mind paying.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 2 vs Hub 3 (or 4) - in modem mode

If in modem mode yes. As routers, no.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have had the SH2 in modem mode for 5 years and never have to reboot it - what is happening that makes you do it?

That said, you could also try the "free" SH1/2/2ac upgrade/replacement scheme - see the link below - as they are trying to get everyone onto Hub3's (may be a delivery charge).

It works first time for about 50% of customers, but if you get the - "Ooops - please call" message, then come back here for more assistance before calling.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap.html?buspart=uk_app_connect2_hubswap

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I'll try for the upgrade to SH3 (but when they're less busy, was on the line for 47 mins and gave up!!).

It just drops out fairly randomly, generally tend to reboot a few times per month, but recently it's about 3-4 times per week. Nothing specifically is causing this, sometimes it drops out when loads of devices are connected (kids on PCs, etc) but also dropped this morning when I'm the only one online.

I also run ping tests to 8.8.8.8 which are usually around 15-20ms latency, but over the last week or so it's consistently 30-60ms. It's playing havoc with my business Zoom calls.  I'm wondering if it's a line/congestion issue?

Would putting it back in router mode, but still having the Netgear connected as an access point, make any difference I wonder?

I just started a new BQM, it's showing high latencies. 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/add0a689b50a0fc6910a7e856cd799ee74... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re. the replacement - I assume you got Oopsed. That usually means you are on an old package that the computer cant recognise so they want to speak to you about it. When you call it in (calling at 08.00 gets the best chance of getting through quickly) it's a coin toss whether the agent knows about the scheme. If they do they will just say "ok we will send one out" - or - they say "oh no, that's an upgrade there will be a charge and it starts a new contract". Neither of those statements in correct - so just say no thanks and leave the call (there may be a small delivery charge).

After that you could try texting on 07533 051809 - include account name/number and what the issue is and see what they say – replies will take a bit longer

Finally a VM person should pick this up here and sort the swap for you, but it can take several days - a week.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@maxwellb71 wrote:

<snip>

I just started a new BQM, it's showing high latencies. 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/add0a689b50a0fc6910a7e856cd799ee74... 

That BQM is horrendous, and I doubt if a Hub 3 would improve it much.  It looks very like over utilisation rather than any particular fault with your SH2.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Not sure what exactly you mean by overutilisation, do you mean congestion from traffic in general (ie outside my house)?  There's not much going on inside the house, just my work laptop, a few phones etc.  No big downloads or streaming going on ...

It has got worse since lockdown 2, so it's making me think congestion on the VM network perhaps?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes network utilisation/congestion

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi