cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 2 to Hub 3 change

seagull104
Joining in

I now have 3 SSIDs - the original one with the Hub 2, a -2 variant of this and the new one for the Hub 3. This has confused my home network to the point where I can no longer transfer pictures from my canon camera to my computer. The problem is almost certainly caused by my use of a TP Link to connect from the hub to my computer but how can I set the system to see just the new Hub 3 SSID?

Any positive suggestions would be very welcome.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

What is the TPLink device? A wi-fi range extender/booster of some sort? Sounds like you might need to reconfigure the TPLink extender to work with the new SSID/password of the new Hub 3. Once you have done that, you will need to 'forget' your old Hub 2 SSID and password for each device then reconnect to the Hub 3 wi-fi.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

What is the TPLink device? A wi-fi range extender/booster of some sort? Sounds like you might need to reconfigure the TPLink extender to work with the new SSID/password of the new Hub 3. Once you have done that, you will need to 'forget' your old Hub 2 SSID and password for each device then reconnect to the Hub 3 wi-fi.

Client62
Legend

Follow the original installation process for the TP-LIINK Wireless Repeater or Power Line extender ( whatever it is ) and re-configure it for use with with the Hub 3.

Change the TP-LINK device to offer the same SSID / Password as the Hub 3 (this will get rid of the old Hub 2 SSID).

Manuals for all TP-LINK products are available from : https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/

For the Canon camera, visit the camera's WI-FI settings and delete the old Hub 2 SSID entry.

So far I have done a factory reset for the TPLink devices and paired and cloned both to the Hub 3. Result is that the SSID still appears as Hub2 -2 on ethernet but is now showing a wifi connectiion as Hub 3.

Is it feasible that the hub 3 has somehow changed its name on the ethernet output?

By the way, I am most grateful to all for the help and advice.

Are you viewing the ethernet connection on a Windows (10?) computer?

If so, I think that might be a little 'quirk' of the current Windows setup. I have had my W10 PC connected wirelessly in the past. When I plug in the ethernet cable it shows the SSID name of my network as the network profile name for the ethernet connection.

Yes, Windows 10. This all started because the camera diagnostic says it won't download pictures because media streaming isn't set. When I try to set it it refuses. Checking Google I learn that recently W10 updates turn off media streaming. Why? Is this all part of MS' strategy to move me to W11?

But returning to your point, the profile name is what I want to change as it's not correct. I'm not sure where it came from. I want the SSID of my virgin server. I am assuming somehow the TPLink device has been given this information so I am now trying to find out how so I can correct it.

Thanks

The Windows network profile name is picked up when you make a network connection on the Windows 10 device. Changing it won't affect/improve the operation of your network connections as it is nothing more than a name AFAIK. There are methods shown online to change it via registry setting changes or group policy setting changes on suitable Windows versions.

I think the '-2' bit of the name might be generated by the TPLink device when it connects to a dual band network. If you have now reconfigured the TPLink device with the new settings for the Hub 3, you could try unplugging the ethernet cable from the PC, restarting the PC and then reconnecting the ethernet cable. See if that changes anything with the network profile name.

Has your PC ever had a wireless connection to the old Hub 2? If so you would need to 'forget' that old network and reconnect to the Hub 3 on the PC as well.

It's all just another 'feature' of how MS likes to keep inflicting settings on your devices for your 'benefit'!!