Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hub 2 or 3 - router??

Hi,

I currently have a hub 2, but have recently been having issues with WiFi dropping (ethernet connections are fine), rebooting hub does not change anything...

So my question is, should I just keep hub 2 and get a router (and change hub to modem) - if so what router do you recommend?

Or should I try and upgrade to hub 3 (and still get a router?? - which router)?

Thanks,

shenniko

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 2 or 3 - router??

Or, just upgrade to a Hub3 (below) and see how the wifi is for you - if its poor then get your own wireless router or, router + wireless access point(s)
---------
https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap.html?buspart=uk_app_connect2_hubswap

If you get the - "Ooops - please call" message – then when you call, go through options 1,1,4,5 - to get through to retentions - you will get a UK based person who should at least know about the deal - no-one seems to have informed the "offshore" lot about it yet ! It may be that you aren’t eligible and they will want to charge you - do not accept that - come back here.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

And just to add to that comment by jbrennand, if you do get a Hub 3, be aware that the default settings are not very good.  Possibly you already know exactly what you'd need to do, if not there's plenty of advice in these forums on optimising your hub's wifi.  So if initial performance is grim, try getting the best out of the Hub 3 before rushing out and spending perhaps £100-200 for a decent router or mesh wifi.

You might still conclude that you'd rather spend the money on something better, but see how it goes.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Another option is to just get a Wireless Access Point and turn off the WiFi on the SH2. This could be used with any other equipment to upgrade to or purchase in the future.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos