cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to turn wifi off

Junojac
Joining in

I would like to turn wifi off at night, This is not block it to certain devices - just plain old OFF, without turning the router off.

I understand that if we turn off the entire router off, it messes with the configuration, so ideally - keep the router on and turn the wifi off...

Think you hive mind!

47 REPLIES 47

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

One thing to remember is that if you have one of the newer TV boxes they need Internet access overnight to update software and programme guide. It's ok if they are Ethernet cabled, but if they are using WiFi they will not update.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Junojac

Welcome to our Community Help Forum!

Thank you for making this post regarding turning the WiFi off on your Hub 3. Here are the steps on how to switch the WiFi off:

1. Before you disable the Hub's WiFi signal, make sure that your computer is connected to the Hub via the supplied Ethernet cable

2. Access the settings page by entering the web address shown on the Hub sticker.

3. Once you have logged in click Advanced settings then Wireless and then Wireless signal.

4. Click the options for Disable 2.4 GHz and Disable 5 GHz.

5. Select Save and then close the browser window.

Please keep me posted on how you get on!

Best wishes,

Serena

Thank you Serena,

Lots of mixed feedback on this one .

I called virgin Media directly and they said - 

1. Go into Modem Mode

2. Enable Modem mode.

I wonder if the two are the same. Interesting that you say that the computer is plugged into the Hub via an ethernet cable. Could you explain why - why I only want to turn off the wifi to the house at night?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks Tudor.

I so rarely use the TV box for anything - I'll take the risk.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Junojac wrote:

Thank you Serena,

Lots of mixed feedback on this one .

I called virgin Media directly and they said - 

1. Go into Modem Mode

2. Enable Modem mode.

I wonder if the two are the same.<snip>

Yes, that's the same thing.  However if you use Modem mode, you will have to supply your own Router as the Hub in Modem mode is just a modem.  It has no routing or wifi capabilities at that point.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

OK... so when you say... It has no routing or wifi capabilities at that point. This is actually telling me that the wifi won't work - which is what I want.

I actually want to turn the wifi off at night , which does mean I have to go into the router every night - but that seems that only way.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No, you are getting confused.  Do not use Modem mode if you only want to turn off the wifi. 

If you are not too worried about updates to your TV box, just put the Hub on a time switch.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I did think about putting the hub on a time switch - but when it switches off and on it resets every time, which is a pain.

surely there must be a world where I can just switch off the wifi - clearly not a choice with Virgin. the other alternative from the helpful community is to buy a router with a wifi on/off switch....

g0akc
Problem sorter

@Junojac wrote:

I did think about putting the hub on a time switch - but when it switches off and on it resets every time, which is a pain.

surely there must be a world where I can just switch off the wifi - clearly not a choice with Virgin. the other alternative from the helpful community is to buy a router with a wifi on/off switch....

There isn’t.

And If the WiFi is off the only way to access the hub or internet is via Ethernet, obviously.

Why do you want to turn the WiFi off at night?

I can understand the requirement to block WiFi/internet to certain devices (many parents wish to limit their children's access for example) but why off altogether?

What are you trying to achieve? What’s the issue?

Don’t bother with modem mode unless you have your own router (or only have one Ethernet connected device such as just a desktop PC).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

My partner has cancer, and the consultant has suggested that we turn the wifi off at night, to reduce the radiation. There has to be a way.