Menu
Highlighted
castwar1930
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

How to switch my router to 2.4ghz home wi fi network

I want to buy a specific home security system.  However, it requires that I download the app and also connect to a 2.4 ghz home wi fi network.  Not 5 ghz. Is 2.4 ghz the standard network on my new router (supplied by Virgin in November) or do I have to change the network settings on the router?  And how? And if I switch the router to 2.4 ghz, will that affect the rest of my PC system, like the internet connection I receive? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to switch my router to 2.4ghz home wi fi network

Assuming you have the Hub 3.0, it does broadcast both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz but with the same WiFi name (SSID).

This can confuse 2.4 GHz only devices so it is best to ‘separate’ the two bands by changing the name of one.

0 Kudos
castwar1930
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

But how do I do this operation?  I am a complete novice.  Can I sort of have two separate networks going at once, on 2.4 gzh for the camera and 5 ghz for the PC and the internet? Sounds a bit complicated. Yes, I have that latest router.

The virgin media YouTube advice says it's not a good idea to change the wi fi channel on the router manually.  So if the router decides that the 5 ghz channel is the fastest, they recommend we go with that choice. Even if it means, presumably, that the security camera will not work.

So how do I see which of these two channels I am currently on?

Please advise.

0 Kudos
daveeb
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

The router broadcasts on both 2.4g and 5g simultaneously, but seperating the two out by having a unique SSID for each (eg vm2g and vm5g) can stop confusion with devices. Should be no need to alter the channel numbers the 2.4 and 5 are broadcasting on as this is done automatically.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Wise owl
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@castwar1930 wrote:

But how do I do this operation?

Please advise.

Go into the Hub3 settings... (type in  http://192.168.0.1  or  http://192.168.100.1 if in modem mode) into your web browser’s url box) and in "smart wifi" (if you have it)  disable "channel optimisation".  Then, in advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) -- use the same password  if you like,  Then, save settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device.  5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference than the 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper devices can only use this one.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes, Superhub2 with VIVID 200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
castwar1930
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

How do I tell which of the two networks I am presently on? Where do I see it? If the router is already adjusted to 2.4 ghz, no need to do anything. But where do I get that information?

Or is it the case that (according to another poster) "The Hub 3 broadcasts on the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz simultaneously." In which case, the system should allow me to AUTOMATICALLY use a security camera operating on 2.4 ghz?  And without my having to do anything - as it's already tuned into the required 2.4 ghz. 

So the problem is not really a problem.  Is this the case?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Wise owl
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

You select which network you want each device to connect to from the devices' "available networks" drop down menu - dual enabled devices will see both - so you choose the one you want - toggle between then to find the better one.  If a device is 2.4 only - it will only see one and only give you that option to connect.  As you will change name/password - you will have to select again on each device. 

Re the password.  On the sticker in the Hub drawer are two passwords - one for the wifi network (that you are going in to change) and the other is the "settings" password that it is asking for.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes, Superhub2 with VIVID 200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
castwar1930
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that advice.  I managed to get to this point (screenshot attached).  There is more information on the screen about wireless and ethernet connected devices that I've not included. Where do I go from here please? Looking at this, maybe it automatically moves between 2.4 and 5ghz

according to the situation or to the device trying to connect to it?  It doesn't say which is currently being used.HUB STATUS.PNG

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

You follow @jbrennand‘s Instruction by pressing Advance settings on the left:

EA8D10A6-75B0-44A9-96E4-25DE6EAAF0B5.jpeg

0 Kudos
castwar1930
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Will do.  Will this tell me if the router is operating on 2.4 or on 5 ghz?  I figure by now that it cannot technically be able to operate on both of these WiFi networks at the same time. Which is the problem, I expect, when I try to use a security camera active on only one of these networks.

0 Kudos