Menu
HectorHR
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

How to reconnect a device to the wi-fi while abroad?

Dear all,

I have an Apple HomePod at home as well as many HomeKit-enabled security devices (cams and so on). I am now abroad, and the HomePod no longer responds --for some obscure reason I cannot figure out, it is no longer connected to the home wi-fi. Therefore, none of my HomeKit-enabled devices works. This situation is very distressing because I depend on these HomeKit-enabled devices to keep my bedroom and my belongings safe while abroad ---and it looks like COVID-19 will keep me abroad for a few months...

I am trying to get my HomePod reconnected to the home wi-fi while I am abroad. So far, I haven't been able to do so. I first told my flatmate, who is still in the house, to turn both the HomePod and Hub 3 off and on again after a few seconds. She did, but it didn't work.

I then told my flatmate to enable remote access so I could play with the settings myself from abroad. Following my instructions, she was able to log in to the Hub 3. Unfortunately, the option for enabling remote access was greyed out, so she could not enable it. Hence, I can't play with the settings myself. Neither of us knows why the option is greyed out, and neither of us knows what to do to enable it (assuming it’s possible at all).

Anyway, I then thought of the Virgin Media Connect app. Unluckily, downloading the Virgin Media Connect app is not a possibility for me because the region I've chosen for my device is not the United Kingdom but rather my home country and, sadly, the Virgin Media Connect app is only available in the United Kingdom App Store. Similarly, changing the region of the App Store on my iPhone is not a possibility because I am member of a Family-sharing setup. Hence, changing the region (which can only be done once a year) would be an absolute mess with all the services and subscriptions we’re currently on [on a side note... Could you please make the app available in other stores? Not everybody who lives in the United Kingdom can have the United Kingdom as the region for his or her phone App Store]

It recently crossed my mind that perhaps my flatmate can reconnect my HomePod to the home wi-fi by playing with the settings herself, but I don't know if this is actually the case. Both her and I know the MAC address of my HomePod, but I don't know if having access to the Hub 3 and knowing the MAC address of my HomePod is enough for her to be able to reconnect it. In the event that such a thing were possible, I don't know which are the steps that she should follow. If what I am suggesting in this paragraph is possible, could anybody please explain me the steps my flatmate should follow to get my HomePod reconnected to the home wi-fi?

In the event that what I suggest in the paragraph above this one is not a possibility, I could still ask my flatmate to do a hard reset of the Hub 3. However, I do not know whether that would reconnect my HomePod to the home wi-fi. Could anybody tell if this is the case? In the event that this is feasible, what should my flatmate do in order to hard reset the Hub 3?

I do really hope somebody can help me out. I feel I'm at a loss right now. And, needless to say, I'm very frustrated & dissatisfied with the whole situation and the apparent lack of a feasible solution to my problem.

I hope you all have a great day.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to reconnect a device to the wi-fi while abroad?

@HectorHR wrote:

Dear all,

I have an Apple HomePod at home as well as many HomeKit-enabled security devices (cams and so on). I am now abroad, and the HomePod no longer responds --for some obscure reason I cannot figure out, it is no longer connected to the home wi-fi. Therefore, none of my HomeKit-enabled devices works. This situation is very distressing because I depend on these HomeKit-enabled devices to keep my bedroom and my belongings safe while abroad ---and it looks like COVID-19 will keep me abroad for a few months...

I am trying to get my HomePod reconnected to the home wi-fi while I am abroad. So far, I haven't been able to do so. I first told my flatmate, who is still in the house, to turn both the HomePod and Hub 3 off and on again after a few seconds. She did, but it didn't work.

I then told my flatmate to enable remote access so I could play with the settings myself from abroad. Following my instructions, she was able to log in to the Hub 3. Unfortunately, the option for enabling remote access was greyed out, so she could not enable it. Hence, I can't play with the settings myself. Neither of us knows why the option is greyed out, and neither of us knows what to do to enable it (assuming it’s possible at all).

Anyway, I then thought of the Virgin Media Connect app. Unluckily, downloading the Virgin Media Connect app is not a possibility for me because the region I've chosen for my device is not the United Kingdom but rather my home country and, sadly, the Virgin Media Connect app is only available in the United Kingdom App Store. Similarly, changing the region of the App Store on my iPhone is not a possibility because I am member of a Family-sharing setup. Hence, changing the region (which can only be done once a year) would be an absolute mess with all the services and subscriptions we’re currently on [on a side note... Could you please make the app available in other stores? Not everybody who lives in the United Kingdom can have the United Kingdom as the region for his or her phone App Store]

It recently crossed my mind that perhaps my flatmate can reconnect my HomePod to the home wi-fi by playing with the settings herself, but I don't know if this is actually the case. Both her and I know the MAC address of my HomePod, but I don't know if having access to the Hub 3 and knowing the MAC address of my HomePod is enough for her to be able to reconnect it. In the event that such a thing were possible, I don't know which are the steps that she should follow. If what I am suggesting in this paragraph is possible, could anybody please explain me the steps my flatmate should follow to get my HomePod reconnected to the home wi-fi?

In the event that what I suggest in the paragraph above this one is not a possibility, I could still ask my flatmate to do a hard reset of the Hub 3. However, I do not know whether that would reconnect my HomePod to the home wi-fi. Could anybody tell if this is the case? In the event that this is feasible, what should my flatmate do in order to hard reset the Hub 3?

I do really hope somebody can help me out. I feel I'm at a loss right now. And, needless to say, I'm very frustrated & dissatisfied with the whole situation and the apparent lack of a feasible solution to my problem.

I hope you all have a great day.

You won’t be able to do it remotely.

You'll need to get someone to do it or seek help from Apple if it’s the only device not connecting.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

get your flatmate to install teamviewer and use that for remote access to her laptop

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
HectorHR
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Dear gary_dexter,

Thank you for your answer. Are you sure my flatmate won't be able to reconnect my HomePod? As I said in my OP, she is in the house at the moment & can do almost* anything I ask her to do. Is there really nothing she can do?

Best,

0 Kudos
HectorHR
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Dear apcyberax,

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, what you suggest is not a possibility because my flatmate only has one computer and is her work computer. She is not allowed to install software without the permission of the company she works for. However, I could ask her to whatever you wanted me to do remotely via teamviewer. What would you suggest me to do in the event she could install teamviewer?

Best, 

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@HectorHR wrote:

Dear apcyberax,

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, what you suggest is not a possibility because my flatmate only has one computer and is her work computer. She is not allowed to install software without the permission of the company she works for. However, I could ask her to whatever you wanted me to do remotely via teamviewer. What would you suggest me to do in the event she could install teamviewer?

Best, 

Depending on version remote desktop (Sharing the desktop) is built into Windows.

0 Kudos
HectorHR
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Dear carl_pearce,

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, her work computer is an iMac. Still, I don't know what I should / would do to get my problem sorted in the event she could share her computer screen with me. Could anybody please further elaborate?

Best,

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

remote assist is built into windows. No idea but you you were back on the network you'd be able to check. I've never used homekit

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos