Menu
Highlighted
Max2019
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

How to get Ethernet with a second Virgin Media router

I have a 2nd Virgin Media router in the basement to get a decent WIFI signal. Now my son would like to connect his new gaming  PC to Ethernet using this router. Can he do this and what does he need?  I can’t see an Ethernet adapter from the router as I see for the main hub in the lounge.

There is a power socket.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to get Ethernet with a second Virgin Media router

what do you have in the basement exactly?
you say a "2nd virgin media router", but i would be surprised if that's what you actually have.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I presume that you've repurposed a VM hub as a WiFi router in a LAN to LAN configuration. If so, there are three LAN ports available and all your son has to do is plug his PC into any of these ports.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Max2019
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I just checked and think you’re correct. I think I have a WIFI booster but I have a different WIFI network ID so thought that meant I had a separate router. I had to pay for it anyway so that I could get a decent WiFi signal.

Can I get Ethernet through this booster? 

0 Kudos
Max2019
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply. I’m afraid it’s too technical for me to understand. I haven’t repurposed anything. But I think I have a WiFi booster with a separate WiFi network I’d in the basement so it’s this I’m trying to establish if I can get Ethernet through rather than the. Irvin Media hub which is located somewhere else not convenient for my son to have his PC. Thank you 

0 Kudos
tonycv51
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If it’s something like the NETGEAR powerline adaptors / WiFi boosters on the VM website then yes they all have an Ethernet port. 

If the Ethernet port is already in use or you need more than 1 Ethernet connection in the basement you can buy a cheap unmanaged switch from amazon to hook up to the boosters Ethernet port

0 Kudos
Max2019
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you!

0 Kudos