Menu
PaulDick
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

How to get 350mbps throughout the house using tp-link

Hi,

I've just upgraded to 350mbps and can only get it via the router using 5Ghz wifi. I've bought 350 mbps tp-link adapter plugs so all the family can use the speed to do work and do online learning. Is there a trick I am missing? I had 100mbps before and had 100mbps through the adapters.

Many thanks,

Paul. 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to get 350mbps throughout the house using tp-link

What model TP-Links ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@PaulDick wrote:

Hi,

I've just upgraded to 350mbps and can only get it via the router using 5Ghz wifi. I've bought 350 mbps tp-link adapter plugs so all the family can use the speed to do work and do online learning. Is there a trick I am missing? I had 100mbps before and had 100mbps through the adapters.

Many thanks,

Paul. 

I don’t understand what the question is?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@PaulDick wrote:

Hi,

Many thanks,

Paul. 

Assuming that the tp link adapter plugs are powerline devices, 100mbps is about as much as you should be expecting..

0 Kudos
PaulDick
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I’ve got 350 tp-link plugs. 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

do you mean these?

Again, probably about as much as you can expect from something like this..

If you really want to take advantage of your speed in more places around the house you're better off investing in a decent router and/or mesh system (which seem to be the general direction that home wifi is taking..) 

0 Kudos
PaulDick
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

This is the issue I am  facing . I've connected to the hub via the ethernet cable provided by Virgin and I am getting 170 at the moment and when I use my wireless and test via 5ghz I get 275. I don't understand why I should be getting any different and thought it should be faster over the ethernet cable than via wifi.

There is obviously a difference in 5ghz compared to 2.4ghz and I don't know why this should be the case. We were getting the same speeds for both frequencies when we had 100mbps. Is there an option on the hub I need to flick so the ethernet speeds match the same as the 5ghz wifi?

Thanks,

Paul.

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

is the ethernet cable connected DIRECTLY to the hub. Not via a network switch or power lines apaters?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
PaulDick
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It’s directly connected to the hub 4

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

wifi can be controlled by the device - the fact you were getting 100 meg on a device via wifi may be the maximum it can do so upping the speed available from the hub would do nothing - the device would still max out at 100meg - you need to test with a device that that you know can connect at the higher speeds now available

Tony
0 Kudos