Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

How to ensure your laptop uses your booster?

My Virgin wifi Hub is downstaiors at the front of the house. I work upstairs at the back of the house, so I have installed a Virgin Powerline wifi booster right next to my desk upstairs. However, my Windows laptop is still connecting to the Hub downstairs.

The booster is working and other upstairs devices connect to it whenever it is switched on. It's just my laptop which keeps connecting to the Hub downstairs. The Hub has a weaker signal from upstairs, so I'm not sure why my laptop is preferring it.

Can someone tell me why this might be and give me some pointers on how to force my laptop to connect via the booster?

THANKS!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: How to ensure your laptop uses your booster?

Give the boosters a different broadcast name (SSID) so you can manually select and connect to it.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your quick reponse.
Although that would definitely ensure my laptop was connected via the booster, it would mean my family would need to reconnect all our devices from one wifi network to another as we move around the house.
I was hoping to keep the same SSID and for devices to connect via whichever signal is strongest. Most devices do that. I have ChromeBooks and iPhones which do this, but my laptop just likes the Hub.
Any other clues?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Your device is picking up what it believes to have the strongest signal.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos