Menu
Hairyjam
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

How to complain?

So after suffering with terrible issues with the hub 3 and researching to find out it’s useless I’ve gone out and bought a router. Had to get a it expert friend to connect it as even he had issues (couldn’t get it to go into modem mode). 
I think this is terrible that I’m paying for a service and that I’ve had to fork out more money to get it sorted. Can I complain to Virgin for compensation towards the new router? 

0 Kudos
billbill
Dialled in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: How to complain?

Probably not.

What 'issues' are you experiencing?

If the Hub is faulty, VM will replace it. I had no issue getting a new one sent, other than a long wait on the phone.

Even if you buy your own router, you still need the VM hub as the modem.

The Hub is not useless. It is, to be fair, a basic unit, which judging by constructive feedback of user issues, seems to suffer if there are too many devices connected and wi-fi coverage can be poor, depending on location, building construction etc. Wi-fi will be better in a modern cardboard house than a traditional brick built house with proper internal walls.

I had the famed Sky router, which they eulogised about, but it was no better wi-fi than the previous one, which in turn was no better than the Talktalk one before....Similarly, the Hub3 is no better at poking out a wi-fi signal than the others. The EUUUU (nick abbot fans) or FCC (yankies) limits the wi-fi power, so even if the companies wanted to 'pump up the volume' (80's reference) they are not permitted to by law.  

The best option is to understand and accept that all wi-fi is pants & will only give limited coverage and speed. From here, the best option is always wired Ethernet connection. Whilst running cables may not be immediately possible or easy, plan for the future, when carpets are replaced or house is rewired for example. I have three Cat6 cables run from my hub to my AV room, to feed a wi-fi mesh unit, other goes to a switch, feeding sky, telly, blu-ray, sonos etc & one spare.

Solutions will be different depending on peoples needs, a stand alone router may work for some, posh ones will allow VPN and much configuration. A TP-Link deco offers little user functionality, but is easy to set up & with enough units will squirt (NA sound effect) up every device in the home & garden. 

I'm afraid it will just have to be accepted that the ISP will supply basic wi-fi and as part of the cost of having connection to the world wide wait (NA again), users will need to buy their own equipment to fill their homes with lovely wi-fi. This equipment is the property of the user of course (no renting wi-fi boosters or the new VM mesh units) and can be ported when changing ISP.

0 Kudos
Hairyjam
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The hub just kept forgetting devices, would jump from device to device leaving the the previous without a signal. Certain rooms which we could use on previous router became black spots. 
since connecting the new router to the hub all is back to normal. 
virgin should not supply a device that can’t cope with more than a few devices. 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Hairyjam wrote:

The hub just kept forgetting devices, would jump from device to device leaving the the previous without a signal. Certain rooms which we could use on previous router became black spots. 
since connecting the new router to the hub all is back to normal. 
virgin should not supply a device that can’t cope with more than a few devices. 

How are wired connections?

After all it’s wired speeds and connectivity that you actually pay for not Wifi.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Hairyjam
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The internet speeds are fine it’s just the hub that is pants and can’t cope. They’ve supplied something that isn’t very good. 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Put it into modem mode and attach your own router 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos