Menu
WorriedParent
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

How to block access from X-VPN

I have HUB 3.0 and enabled websafe features already to prevent access to certain websites. But it seems my kids are ahead of me and they have X-VPN installed on their mobile phone and when they connect from X-VPN, it bypasses all restrictions set of websafe. Can you please provide solution? 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to block access from X-VPN

Nope - not really.

You can try and get the IP or Endpoint address that the VPN is connecting to and add it to the blocked sites list?

But then all they need to do is change the DNS on their devices and it will bypass it anyway.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
jpeg1
Superstar
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Tell your kids that they lose X-VPN or they lose their phones. 

As the broadband subscriber you are responsible for everything they do over that connection. If it's illegal or under-age it's your fault. Do you know what they are doing that may cause harm to themselves or others? 

0 Kudos
WorriedParent
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Instead of elderly warning can someone please provide the technical solution? Your warning has taken on board but it doesn't help I am here for technical answer please.
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

As already said above…

You can try and get the IP or Endpoint address that the VPN is connecting to and add it to the blocked sites list?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
sophist
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Determined, tech savvy, (presumably) teenagers will likely work their way around any restrictions you put in place.. it’ll likely turn into a bit of arms race… you can do as Gary has suggested, but it likely won’t be long before they circumvent the control with a different method. I’m not here to tell you how to parent, but sustainable technical solutions to your problem are going to be a challenge and you’re gonna have to brush up on network admin pretty quickly 😉 

a dad. 

0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

There is only one technical solution that cannot be bypassed like every other one and that is what is called in old computer terms “the big red switch”. Power off your hub! 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos