Menu
eleigh
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

How normal is this level of packet loss and latency?

We experience occasional, but sometimes serious, degredation of Zoom/Teams video calls: freezing, drop-outs, random disconnections. WiFi connections in the rooms where we Zoom are solid (device is within 5m of the Super Hub). We've tried using an Ethernet connection and didn't experience any serious problems, but that doesn't really prove anything as they're infrequent.

We have no problem with download rates (iPlayer etc streams fine with only very rare interruptions). No-one in the house is gaming at any time, nor streaming TV during the daytime, and we're not running a Torrent or other server.

I've been running a Broadband Quality Monitor for a few months now. I wondered if these recent snapshots indicate a problem or whether they fall within a normal range:

4-5 Feburary 2021:

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media Super Hub 3

2 Feb 2021:

1 Feb 2021:

29 Jan 2021:

19 Jan 2021:

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
risc19
Up to speed
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: How normal is this level of packet loss and latency?

I would be ecstatic with a BQM that looks like yours, most are far worse at the moment.

Here is mine...

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/b458c524725278d2e9cee955d93abc2c53616c62

Not the worst but not great either.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: How normal is this level of packet loss and latency?

Looks pretty similar to mine. My connection is “OK”. Not great but not terrible either. 

0 Kudos