cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many access points can we have?

Jammys4
Joining in

Hi.
We’re new to VM and are about to have our install (360 + mini box and WiFi). Having spoken to VM online and done some research, I’m still a bit unclear about some things that I hope you very clever peeps might be able to clear up for us.

I understand the main 360 TV box and WiFi router are hard wired hard to an access point. Is it possible to have more than 1 access point?

Would we be able to have the WiFi router in another part of the house some distance away from the main TV access point?

Does the 360 mini box have to be connected to an access point, an aerial point or is it a pure Wi-Fi enabled device?

We have booked a pre visit from an engineer, but I thought I’d get an idea of the possibilities before they arrive.

Many thanks in advance

M

11 REPLIES 11

g0akc
Problem sorter

@Jammys4 wrote:

Sorry we’re having the M350 Wi-Fi speed

As already covered - the 350 is the expected speed to the modem/router - it will be slower in parts of the house over WiFi as the signal fades or interference sources are nearby.

VM don’t guarantee speeds around the house, even if you get their pods or boosters. Same with other providers too.

The good news is 10mbs or even 5 should give reliable HD streaming (depending on various factors) and say 20 or 30 UHD when available.  It might work satisfactorily over wifi but there may be buffering sometimes….

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

HI Jammys4 👋 welcome to the community! Thank you for posting and getting in touch to raise your concerns about access points within your home. 

Thanks to the community for offering help and advice so far. 

As you are pre-installation and have a pre-visit from an engineer booked in already, the engineer will best be able to advise what options are available to you whilst in the property. Sadly we are a little limited via this platform being able to see the layout of your home and furniture vs the type of equipment and setup you are hoping to use. 

We can offer some more general advice regarding access points, and what kind of connections the TV360 boxes need though! There's a handy help guide on our website here for TV360 👉 Virgin TV 360 Box | Multi-Screen Streaming | Virgin Media that outlines the boxes need a connection via Coax cable to both watch TV live, and access online services. 

In terms of access points, you will have one point where your connection comes into the home, and your network will be distributed from this point via the Hub. If you have a quick look at this guide 👉 https://my.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virgoBrowse/docs/Virgin-TV-V6-QuickStart-Guide-for-New-Custom... there is a picture of the type of socket used for our services. It does differ to that of other providers!

As you are a new customer any landline services will also be provided via your hub through our Voice over IP service. (VOIP), also known as 21st Century voice. 

If you need some extra help with your networking following being setup and installed, you can use our connect app 👉 https://virg.in/connectapp for help with Wi-Fi coverage. The app will scan your home for any issues and offer support if needed! You can also return to the community and we will be happy to help. 

Hope this is all useful information and your consultation appointment goes well! Please let us know if there is anything else you need our help with. 

Wishing you all the best.🌞

Molly