cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long will it take for new install to reach normally available speed?

ajay1011
Joining in

Just upgraded to Gig1, all set up okay. Set it up about an hour ago. WiFi speed seems to be variable depending on device so no complaints there. Best speed I got on ethernet is just under 900Mbps.

Contract states "normally available speed" as between 1077 - 1139 Mbps. Would it take a day or two to get up to around that?

3 REPLIES 3

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No, VM internet does not work like that, it’s immediate. Unless you are using socket 4 on a Hub5 you will never get higher than 940 on a single wired connection due to overheads. What is not stated by VM is that the speed is for simultaneous multi device connections, not just measured with one device.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

carl_pearce
Community elder

What does this site show?

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

Do you have a HUB 5?

Is there a device with a 2.5Gbps Ethernet port plugged into the 2.5Gbps Ethernet port on the HUB 5?

Wi-Fi speeds depend on the HUB you have (HUB 4 = Wi-Fi 5, HUB 5 = Wi-Fi 6) and the capability of your wireless devices.

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

To explain what Tudor has said, the total downstream throughput available in a non-congested area is around 1.1 Gig.  If you have several concurrent downloads running, then they might well aggregate to 1.1 Gig.

A speed test is at the mercy of the site that provides the test.  It's likely, but I don't know this for a fact, though, that their output ports are rate limited to 1 Gig.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)