Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

How is this level of poor service and incompetence lawful?

Ive had years of jaw droppingingly poor service and its the only service provider who has reduced me to shrill tears and I always feel very tense when I call or when I have to deal with them. So many horror stories and endless problems which it seems most other customers experience too. (can we march en-masse to Trafalgar square in protest?) 

Anyway after 7 years i am moving home and called them mid October (gleefully and with huge relief) I called them to inform them that I will be moving on the 31st and closing my account. This was done with the usual hours on hold and being transferred from pillar to post, and the really irritating hard sell to get me to use them at the new address which is very annoying, but finally someone (apparently) actioned my request. The next morning no service. I call (hours and hours) and find out that the lady (from the Philippines office) had cut me off with IMMEDIATE effect, 2 weeks before moving house and in the middle of my work. Now, because I am no longer a customer I cannot log in into my account and cannot get through on the phone because "that account number is not recognised" So, Im locked out and not able to work and cant get through. 

Hours of tearful angry calls later my service is going to be reinstated by it may take a few days. 3 DAYS LATER my damn wifi is finally back online. I was so angry about losing all my work time and the sheer incompetence. that I wrote a formal complaint. Heard nothing back. 

I have moved and now I have received a new bill for a "NEW SERVICE" which I apparently **bleep** bought on the day I called to reinstate the service !!! Now I am apparently in a new contract and owe them a heap of frrigging cash and I am facing hours of frustrating and incompetence on the phone tomorrow. 

How is this total lack of care and the ruthless way they overcharge, and make it very hard to leave and basically waste our time endlessly, even legal?? Its should be unlawful

How to action this - is there any telephone number in the UK that is quicker and more effective than that 0345 number?  And how to complain with it taken seriously? No-one has responded to my previous complaint except to add more charges to my bill. Its FRAUD

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: How is this level of poor service and incompetence lawful?

Hi Munchy114.

It sounds like you've been having a right nightmare! I'm so sorry to hear about this!

Although I don't work for Virgin Media and have no affiliation to them what so ever, I do feel your pain when dealing with the phone support. I have been trying for a couple of days to report a technical fault and have not even got someone to pick up the phone!

With all that said, you may find what you're looking for here.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/consumer-code-of-practice

I hope you get the answers you need.

My Broadband Ping - 24hr monitor
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

They can't force you into a new contract, so this can all be resolved.  Read and follow the VM Consumer Complaints Code of Practice. I always recommend putting complaints in writing and sending by recorded post. If VM can't sort your complaint out to your complete satisfaction, then after eight weeks you can escalate to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS. Obviously this is slow, but probably better than the misery of trying to contact VM by phone, and getting fobbed off again with promises that will certainly not be kept.

Make sure your complaint is clear, starts from the beginning, includes as much detail as possible on the contacts you've had with VM, including (if relevant) any rudeness or being cut off or disconnected. It should also specify exactly what you want: Correct charging in future, refund of any over-charges, and a generous "goodwill gesture" (compensation) for the hassle, wasted time, broken promises and sheer unpleasant inconvenience of the whole thing.

If the forum staff can grab this and get it sorted that will be quicker and easier for both parties, but don't settle for any compromise or inadequate goodwill gesture just because it's easy.  I have escalated this for their attention and you should get an answer today.  Don't start a formal complaint until the forum staff have had a chance to unravel this Virgin Media Mess, because we believe that once a complaint becomes formal, the forum team can't get involved.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It’s not fraud. You’re just over-reacting to a simple mistake.

Approach the matter calmly and it will get resolved.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If this is a new contract, you are entitled to cancel it without cost within 14 days.

So use it for the remaining period before you move, then cancel it in writing to the address in the contract. 

End of problem. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @munchy114

Welcome to our Community and thanks so much for your first post - I was sorry to understand that you had some issues with your disconnection going ahead sooner than expected. 

In thus situation, it does take up to 72 hours to reconnect; I can only apologise about the delay here; due to the processes in place, this can't be done any quicker I'm afraid. Once the account is reconnected; it automatically will start a new contract as standard; however, this us usually manually removed once the original disconnection is rebooked on for you. I am sorry that this was not explained to you in detail when you called us about your issues. 

After locating your account from your forum information I can see that all seems to now have been cleared up and the account is clear and looking as it should. 

If you're still needing assistance or further updates since your post, please do not hesitate to get back in touch. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Wow, thats very unhelpful. Virgin media dont need you to stand up for them. Sadly my reaction is based on years and years of similar problems and I have lost a lot of time, income and inconvenience. And, yes, reading the reviews of others there does indeed seem to be a pattern involving billing people and/or not providing a paid-for service and then being entirely inaccessible 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@munchy114 wrote:

Wow, thats very unhelpful. Virgin media dont need you to stand up for them. Sadly my reaction is based on years and years of similar problems and I have lost a lot of time, income and inconvenience. And, yes, reading the reviews of others there does indeed seem to be a pattern involving billing people and/or not providing a paid-for service and then being entirely inaccessible 

Based on what?

Loss of income isn’t covered under a residential service contract by the way. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

maybe not covered in a residential contract in the fine print, but does not exclude me from suffering loss of income, stress and inconvenience. You can choose to gaslight my experience by dismissing it out of hand, but I choose to take it seriously and stand firm in complaining. Are virgin paying you to invalidate people's experience to stop them from complaining formally?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@munchy114 wrote:

maybe not covered in a residential contract in the fine print, but does not exclude me from suffering loss of income, stress and inconvenience. You can choose to gaslight my experience by dismissing it out of hand, but I choose to take it seriously and stand firm in complaining. Are virgin paying you to invalidate people's experience to stop them from complaining formally?

Nope. But this isn’t the place to raise a complaint. They have a code of practice with which you should follow. 

0 Kudos