Menu
Highlighted
Tudor
Legend
Message 31 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Re: How have Virgin Media not been sued? MAC Filtering!

That’s no good, I just use “wordpass”, but then I was always a bit backward!!!

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
gordan
Up to speed
Message 32 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Yes, the Hub 3 is unfit for purpose on most levels.

No, MAC filtering isn't meaningful security. On most devices, MAC address can be changed to whatever you want. In some devices it is changed every time the device connects to or scans a network for privacy reasons (you can be tracked by MAC address as you walk around with a phone in your pocket).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
kpanchev
Tuning in
Message 33 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Away from the banter of how useful MAC filtering is, I would like to give an advice to the original poster:

If you are sure this smart plug is not yours, just connect to it and start messing about with its state. I am sure whoever neighbour has it will get very annoyed and will reset it to its default settings and will reconnect it to their own network this time. I am pretty sure the whole connection happened by mistake when you enabled WPS, so this should get the owner of the plug to reconfigure it and get it out of your network.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 34 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Well, it shouldn't be that likely at all that this happened.

Your SSID Should be Unique.  Not for security reasons so much as if you name your network the same as other networks then you will get random connection attempts.  The old VM gear had the same SSID so problems like what the OP is having would be more likely.

There has been a security issue.  Regardless of how poor and useless MAC filtering is, the OP needs to change his Wi-Fi password AND disable WPS.

If someone brute forced your WPS pin to get on, their MAC is probably false anyhow.  So they are just going to change it to match something on the network and then you'll not be all that wise to it existing.  So this goes back to you need to change your Wi-Fi password.

Once the key was sent via WPS, the device on the other end can display it.  That is, your password is visible, change your Wi-Fi password.

As for simple passwords.  Some sites I use a1234 as the password, never been hacked ;P... So insure that no one wants an account that's that insecure as it'll be worthless... Password tools are usually poop too.  1Cat_5Birds_2Dogs is a strong password but you would be amazed at how many sites would refuse it.

I can understand why the OP is complaining, and his complaint IS valid.  MAC Filtering is not working correctly.  The forum staff are not going to do anything to get that fixed.  It's a router bug that they will ignore.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 35 of 37
Flag for a moderator

@VMCopperUser wrote:

I can understand why the OP is complaining, and his complaint IS valid.  MAC Filtering is not working correctly.  The forum staff are not going to do anything to get that fixed.  It's a router bug that they will ignore.

They dont ignore it. They feed it back, then get told "dont let the door hit your backside on the way out". Brand have commissioned a new colour scheme for the GUI so actual bugs are low priority.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
animeshsaxena
Joining in
Message 36 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Can I also try it as I am a hardcore gamer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
chenks
Community elder
Message 37 of 37
Flag for a moderator

@animeshsaxena wrote:

Can I also try it as I am a hardcore gamer.

can you also try what?

0 Kudos