cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you block a port using Hub 3

Julieat
Tuning in

I just want to block a single port on Hub3  - all users/all outgoing ip etc.

Loads of examples on port forwarding but nothing on how to block altogether

if I create a rule - say all source Ip; all destination IP; udp/tcp; source port 25:25; destination port 25:25 - should this do it?

Does enable enable this rule or enable the port?

23 REPLIES 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
less options = less support =less cost to the ISP

Someone was expecting too much from the hub...again...

---------------------------------------------------------------

hillsrob
Joining in

Hi, Did you manage to find a solution to this problem? I have a similar issue with my outgoing email being blocked because something on my network is sending traffic on port 25. I have logged a call with Virgin Media but I don't have a lot of hope in getting a resolution.

No, this hub is advertised and included in the package as "all you could ever want" style of modem/router/firewall, but is probably the weakest/most feature/functionality lacking I have ever come across.

Around 18 years ago I was supplied with the most basic and cheapest router/modem/firewall possible by tiscali when we were with them, so I initially dug that out and slotted it between my network and the virgin Hub, being even a most basic piece of kit it did the job (but a bit slow tbh) until I dug out a BT router to replace it.

Apparently expecting normal functionality for typical modem/router/firewall, that's actually advertised as market leading in functionality - is expecting too much!!...

So I would suggest digging out an old router and slotting it between, however it won't be quite as easy as just blocking port 25 (unless you do it on a device/app basis)

One of the big issues is that port 25 being SMTP is often used by legitimate android apps as information/data updates as it will usually be open for email, so if you block that generically you would have to provide an alternative route for email - typically port 587

It would appear someone marked this thread as "solved" when of course it hasn't at all