Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

How do i get Virgin to respond?

I have continual intermittent connection. Virgin do not care, they do not respond, there is no way to contact them. They are in breach of contact - 10mbps, when it works, is way below what they promise. So how do I get their crap out of my house to get a new supplier. And they have the cheek to advertise 1GB below this!! They wouldn't know 1GB if it hit them in the face as it flew past from their competition. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do i get Virgin to respond?

Read your speed guarantee 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I did read the guarantee.  It says 100mbps with a minimum standard of 50%.  It did not say 10mbps at max and even that would be intermittent and that

when I use the Virgin app on my phone to try to solve the problem Screenshot_20201024-002827_Virgin Media Connect.jpgit says it cannot find the hub!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

How are you Speedtesting and from what device?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

What speed do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

My computer is in a separate room in our VERY SMALL flat.  When I previously complained about speed Virgin supplied some kind of booster that plugged in the wall where the fibre comes in and also plugged into my study.  I have a cable from there to my PC.  In order to be on the internet right now I am using my phone as a hotspot.  When, occasionally, I get a chance to connect to Virgin the last speedtest I ran with Ookla was 10mbps.

My biggest concern is that Virgin don't seem to care at all.  The only response I got from them was "Please don't give personal information on social media".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Mike I cannot practically run a cable from my lounge where the router is to my study.  Surely, if my computer can pick up wifi from my phone it is the broadband that is the problem, not the computer?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If VM are supplying the correct speed to the Hub they are fulfilling their side of the contract; there is very little that they can do about Wi-Fi.

They have supplied you with 'Boosters' that are effectively cheap Power Line Adaptors (PLA).

Can you Login to the Hub Settings and navigate to the Connected Devices page - what does it report the 'connection speed’ as for the PLAs / cable connected device you used for the speed test?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

"If VM are supplying the correct speed to the Hub they are fulfilling their side of the contract; there is very little that they can do about Wi-Fi."

Well why do they, and others, not just admit that they do not supply wifi instead of all the advertising promises.  Using the phone app I can have it tell me it can't find the booster in the same room as the booster.  It's no use supplying a signal into the house and then having it lie in the corner next to the booster.  Anyway, I have now bought and installed my own booster and that seems to be working.  BUT I will cancel all my Virgin contracts the moment I can because they have certainly not shown any care over this issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

How does VM know:

• What wireless devices you are using
  • How far you are going to be from the HUB
  • What type of building you are in

There are so many wireless standards there is no way you can guarantee the speed you get to each device.

Are you getting 100Mbps to a wired device?

Oh and the screenshot above doesn't even look like it's connected to your HUB (I can see 4G activity?).

0 Kudos