cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

How do I connect to Ethernet sockets?

iphelan
Joining in

I have just had my Virgin router delivered and am trying to connect my PC to the Wi-Fi through Ethernet. My PC runs on Ethernet only and uses wall sockets to connect. As shown in the picture, I do have two Ethernet port-looking sockets next to my Virgin socket, but the Ethernet cable provided does not fit into either of them. Could I have some help with this? Thank you πŸ™‚

3652579F-5076-4425-B986-070728056179.jpeg

 

10 REPLIES 10

goslow
Alessandro Volta

There are no ethernet sockets shown in your photo. The two sockets on the wall on the RHS are telephone sockets.

You need to use an ethernet cable to make a connection between your PC and an ethernet socket on the back of the VM hub.

If the VM hub and your PC are in different rooms, you would need to get a wi-fi adapter for the PC and connect wirelessly. Another option might include powerline connections to make an ethernet connection over powerline between rooms but speed will likely be constrained via the powerline. Your final option to make an ethernet connection between rooms, if that is what you need, would be to install your own ethernet cable link (either a long ethernet lead or some kind of connection with ethernet wall sockets at each end).

UKG
Tuning in

You plug the ethernet into the back of the Virgin modem/hub (the device at the end of the thick white cable with teh red label on)

And where would I plug the other end of the ethernet cable in?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@iphelan wrote:

First time using the internet? Do you have a computer?

---------------------------------------------------------------

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@iphelan wrote:

One end of the ethernet cable into your hub, the other end of the ethernet cable into your PC.

My router is in another room and is much too far to run an ethernet cable to my pc. 

My router is too far away from my pc to feasibly run a cable, what are my other options?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@iphelan wrote:

My router is too far away from my pc to feasibly run a cable, what are my other options?

OK, have you read the reply at #2 because the options are provided there?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

1) run an Ethernet cable, they can be used up to 100m (310ft) and are very cheap.

2) buy an WiFi card or dongle for your machine, not recommended 

3) pay VM Β£25 to have your incoming cable move adjacent to your machine.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2