Menu
Georgie2021
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

How can I improve my home WIFI connectivity?

Hi,

I have recently upgraded my Virgin Media broadband package to M200 as I found that the wifi signal was regularly losing connection on multiple devices. I was always getting kicked out of every Zoom or MS Teams call that I joined. This connection and internet speed seemed to be an issue for multiple devices. Unfortunately, since upgrading these issues continue.

We have a VM Hub 3.0, which I have restarted and completed a factory reset. Neither appear to have worked. Nobody is gaming in the house and we rarely have two people on a VC at any one time. I have checked my Virgin Media Connect app and we regularly have between 10 - 14 devices connected to the hub at any one time. I wonder if this is too many devices for the hub to cope with and if so, how can I fix this? Any advice would be much appreciated.  

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: How can I improve my home WIFI connectivity?

You should start by testing/confirming that everything works OK when you are connected to the hub via an ethernet cable.. it's inconvenient but worth doing to rule out that there's anything wrong with the underlying connection..

Assuming that everything works ok via ethernet, most of the general "wifi is [DELETED]" problems on this forum result in a recommendation to purchase your own wireless router or mesh system.. 

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

Georgie2021
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response.

I have tried an ethernet cable and no issues with the connection. I have also run a speed test on an app and the download speeds seem to be fine (220mbps+). It seems to be an issue when we have mutiple devices connected (no more than 14). I often lose connection or the audio becomes glitchy when only one device tries to make a video call, however I would have thought my VM package M200 would have been sufficient. 

In terms of routers, does anyone know if I can buy a better performing router than the 3.0 Hub that Virgin provide? There is such a varied selection (and price range). I don't want to invest in a new router if this may not improve things. Could Virgin not provide a better router or might boosters help?  

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Assuming your wired connections are all ok as you say, then getting your own wireless equipment will solve any wifi issues permanently, and will be transferable to other BB suppliers kit should you move supplier.

Get either.....

(1) A Mesh System, (2) A Wireless router, (3) A Wireless access point or (4) A combination of (2) & (3).

It depends on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£60-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router but 'may' not alone solve the wifi in your house, but spending up to ~£500 will get the “Rolls Royce” solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system. You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat, more for a stone built 8 bedroom mansion

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Georgie2021
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

John,

Thank you for your insightful response! A lot to look into. I could only presume the router must be struggling but am surprised that the VM hub 3.0 would not sufficiently support our usage level. 13 WiFi devices does not seem excessive and video calls (up to 2 devices at a time) is the greatest demand we place on our connection. 

Thanks for your help. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If yiu havent already - try this it often helps.

Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings.  Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx_2 & xxxxx_5) -- use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.