cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are Virgin getting away with giving Gig1 customers a SH4?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Folks;  Recently took the steps to upgrade to Gig1 for the upgraded upload speed (kekw)... yeah it's pretty much a joke, and I thought BT's at 100mbit up was bad.. but we all know what we're getting with Upload anyway.

Anywho, the problem arises that Virgin are selling you a 1130 average speed service (something they "brag" about) and compared on their website.

The issue is the ports on these SH4's are only 1000 (contrary to what they say on twitter).  Which means with overheads even cabled in you're going to be looking at 940/950mbit tops.

Buggy or not I was actually expecting them to be sending out SH5's by now, I'd even bought a PCIE 2.5GbE adapator and invested in some seriously thick outdoor Cat8 Cable (overkill I know, but futureproof).

So what gives? Why are they misleading customers by selling a product with X speed you cannot possibly acheive on the hardware they send.

How is this even really legal?  I always moan about BT being legally allowed to sell their "Fibre" Broadband even though it's coppper to premises... but this seems even worse, because the capability is there, VM's just too lazy to supply the hardware.

I mean, this seems like a huge marketing blunder and no doubt some overpaid donut at VM decided this would obliterate BT's 900mbit offering (which most BT customers will get 930/940 and be like yay winning) so VM's customers are getting 930/940 and be like, wheres my 190mbit more?

I don't know.  I've seen posts on here where people are like does that extra 10-12% extra really matter.. and the answer is yes, that's what is advertised and that is what is paid for.

That 190 missing is nearly 4x faster than the national average.  *Ofcom results March 2021

Also before someone says derrr wifi.  My WiFi6 router is plugged in to a guess what? 1000 port, and tops off at 880-900 anyway.

3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

You might want to unban my original/account linked forum account: #201729 // itsadam.

It had a temp ban in 2016, 6 years ago.  Such temporary.  What else to expect from VM tbh.

@Anonymous,

I have private messaged you regarding multiple forum accounts. Please respond as soon as possible.

Can I also remind you not to discuss the moderation process in the open forum as this is against our house rules.

Best,

Michael_JK
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since it's 6 years old I don't think it applies nor does saying its suspended temporarily.   No details have been posted.

I'd rather have a response to my ticket than a mardy reply telling me I'm breaking the rules.