Menu
jonlfc68
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

How To Set Up A R8000 Nighthawk Router With Hub 3?

Had virgin media for 6 months on the 200mpbs package the Wifi coverage from the hub 3 has always been poor compared to my old BT Hub 5.It was good enough for  my wife and I but my eldest son has moved back home and plays xbox online streams Netflix etc.The Wifi coverage in his room is woeful keeps disconnecting lags when gaming etc even his Iphone and MacBook disconnect.I have tried all the usual fixes splitting the 2.4 and 5 channels Wifi extender no joy.So after research the conclusion is the same as a lot of other customers is that the Hub 3 is a pile of junk for Wifi signal,Ethernet connection not an option.

Have ordered a R8000 Netgear Nighthawk Router to use in modem mode has anyone point me to a tutorial on setting it up?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: How To Set Up A R8000 Nighthawk Router With Hub 3?

There’s not actually a great deal you need to worry about.

Firstly log into the management page on the VM hub and find the option to switch it to modem mode. Do so and the hub reboots, when it completes the restart you should see the bottom light be a sort of red/magenta colour which is how you know it’s now in router mode.

Note that if you want to get back into the hub, the IP address for it will have changed to 192.168.100.1

Connect the WAN port on the Neatgear to any one of the ports on the Hub, you can use any one of them but in this mode only one can be in use at a time.

Connect your PC to any of the Netgear’s LAN ports and follow the instructions to set it up. The only thing you may need to do manually is to make sure that the WAN settings are set to DHCP or dynamic.

It should now pick up the public address through the hub and you should be good to go, from now on the VM hub is doing nothing other than being a cable modem so everything is now controlled and configured on the Netgear.

Some people have reported the the Hub doesn’t always pass the IP address on so it may be necessary to power everything off, power up the Netgear, wait a couple of minutes for it to fully start up, then turn on the VM hub (yes I know it does seem a bit counterintuitive), wait a couple of min for that to initialise properly and see what you get.

Hopefully though you won’t have to jump through too many hoops.

Best wishes

John

Note

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

There's not too much you actually need to do.

Firstly login to the Hub's management page and find the option to switch to modem mode, do so and the Hub will reboot. When it finishes, the bottom light on the front should be a sort or red / magenta colour which is how we tell that it is now in modem mode. Please note that form now on, to get back to the Hub's management page the IP address will a have changed to 192.168.100.1

Now connect the WAN socket on the Netgear to any one of the four Ethernet sockets on the Hub, and power up the Netgear. Connect a PC to one of the LAN sockets on it and go through the setup procedure. If you are lucky it may well auto detect the correct WAN settings, if not then make sure that the WAN mode is in Dynamic IP address, definitely not PPoE or anything similar or Static address. Some users have reported that to get the Hub to properly pass the WAN address through, you may need to configure the Netgear and save the settings, then power everything down. Power up the Netgear first and let it fully come up and only then power up the VM hub (yes I know it does seem completely counterintuitive). Give it a couple fo minutes for the Hub to properly initialise (red/magenta light time), and you should then get a properly configured WAN address on the Netgear and be good to go.

Note that from now on the VM hub is doing nothing other than be a cable modem so everything else, wifi, firewall settings etc. are done through the Netgear - hopefully it'll all work as it should and you won't have to jump through too many hoops.

Best wishes

John 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There's not actually too much you need to worry about.

First log in to the VM Hub's management page, find the option to switch to modem mode and click it, the hub will need to reboot and when it finishes you should see the bottom light be a sort of red/magenta colour which is how you know the hub is properly in modem mode - by the way from now on if you want to access the Hub again, the IP address will have changed to 192.168.100.1

Now connect the Netgear's WAN port to any one of the Ethernet ports on the VM Hub (any one will work but you can only use one of them at a time, the rest will be effectively disabled), connect your PC to the Netgear's LAN socket and set it up as per the instructions. Hopefully it will automatically pick up the proper WAN inteface settings, if not then make sure that it is in Dynamic (DHCP) IP address mode, definitely not static IP or PPoE mode. You then should be good to go.

Some users have reported that the router doesn't seem to pick up an IP address properly, the solution seems to be to power everything off, then start up the Netgear, give it a couple of minutes to initialise and then start up the VM Hub and wait for it to complete start up (red / magenta light) - the router should now have a proper WAN IP address.

Note that from now on the VM hub is acting only as a cable modem, all the firewall and wifi features are controlled and managed by the Netgear - hopefully you won't have to jump through too many hoops to get it all working.

Best wishes

John

0 Kudos
jonlfc68
Joining in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the detailed reply it should be arriving tomorrow will post back how I get on.

0 Kudos
jonlfc68
Joining in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Have set it all up as per instructions all went smoothly and worked first time,the internet speed is very poor though i am only getting 50 mbps on the 2.4ghz and 75 mbps on the 5ghz stuck the ethernet lead in and creeps to 80mbps i am on a 200 mbps connection and got he full speeds on router mode.Any ideas on settings etc?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

You shouldn't get full speed doing this but you can try, power off the hub in modem mode for 2mins and turn on with a PC connected to the modem mode port to get internet (may have to unplug replug the Ethernet) and run a speed test to see what you get.

0 Kudos
jonlfc68
Joining in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi got it sorted changed the ethernet cable i used a new cat7 0.5m one first changed over to the supplied yellow ethernet cable and speed jumped up to full speed.
Still having problems with my sons Xbox one his room is the furthest away from the router the xbox struggles to connect to the router but his macbook phone etc are all fine.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

My lad is an avid internet gamer and uses a pair of powerline adapters with no issues. Just need to ensure that the two electrical circuits go through the same consumer unit and you get good quality ones.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jonlfc68
Joining in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi
The whole point of the router was to improve the wifi which it has, do not want any adapters/extenders
0 Kudos