Menu
Highlighted
Fedup1000
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

How EXACTLY is Intermittent broadband defined?

How EXACTLY is Intermittent broadband defined?

How long does the broadband have to stay on to be classed as being intermittent?

5 minutes

1 Hour

24 Hours

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: How EXACTLY is Intermittent broadband defined?

Can depend on how intermittent the Intermissions, if its happening at random times over a period can get tricky to find cause

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fedup1000
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The reason is that I was told that my broadband had come on at 3 different times over a 35 day period before it was fixed. All the other days it was off completely.

They never stated how long it was on for only that it came on at some point on 3 different days.

So because of that Virgin are stating it is intermittent and not worthy of the £8 a Day OFCOM levy even though my Broadband has been off completely for a Month.

@paultechy wrote:

Can depend on how intermittent the Intermissions, if its happening at random times over a period can get tricky to find cause

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

£8 per day for a total loss of service after 2 full working days from registering the loss of service to us, https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation, they might offer a partial refund.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fedup1000
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@paultechy wrote:
£8 per day for a total loss of service after 2 full working days from registering the loss of service to us, https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation, they might offer a partial refund.

They should be offering £8 per Day at least for 10 Days which is apparently up to the Day when the system was intermittent, but instead they offered a Month's refund which is not what their own rules state and definitely not what OFCOM states.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Andruser
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well, complain to VM using their formal complaints policy, requesting what you want by way of resolution (eg compensation of £x and reinstatement of a reliable service).  If they don't deliver everything you want then after eight weeks (or before that if they issue a "deadlock letter" that says they can't agree), then you escalate to the arbitration service CISAS.  CISAS can't consider your complaint unless you've given VM the opportunity to resolve it first, so you do need to complain to VM.  Don't waste your time complaining to Ofcom, they just count customer complaints, but they don't handle or resolve them - a typical civil service waste of space.

The interesting thing is that CISAS is free for you, Virgin Media have to pay a "case fee" for any complaints they take on.  If VM immediately cave in then the case fee is around £150, if they hold out, then they get charged much more - I guess around £300-400, based on my involvement in a related industry that have to offer an arbitration service.  The numbers I've seen in the past suggest that VM will sometimes hold out when people threaten to use CISAS, I guess because they known most people can't be bothered, but then cave in for a good proportion of CISAS complaints.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fedup1000
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Andruser wrote:

Well, complain to VM using their formal complaints policy, requesting what you want by way of resolution (eg compensation of £x and reinstatement of a reliable service).  If they don't deliver everything you want then after eight weeks (or before that if they issue a "deadlock letter" that says they can't agree), then you escalate to the arbitration service CISAS.  CISAS can't consider your complaint unless you've given VM the opportunity to resolve it first, so you do need to complain to VM.  Don't waste your time complaining to Ofcom, they just count customer complaints, but they don't handle or resolve them - a typical civil service waste of space.

The interesting thing is that CISAS is free for you, Virgin Media have to pay a "case fee" for any complaints they take on.  If VM immediately cave in then the case fee is around £150, if they hold out, then they get charged much more - I guess around £300-400, based on my involvement in a related industry that have to offer an arbitration service.  The numbers I've seen in the past suggest that VM will sometimes hold out when people threaten to use CISAS, I guess because they known most people can't be bothered, but then cave in for a good proportion of CISAS complaints.

The funny thing is that I did complain and have heard nothing back, but also when I refused VM's offer of a Month's refund the girl just stated that they wouldn't budge and would send a deadlock letter out which was really quick to get to that position.

So I am waiting for the letter to arrive and move it onto CISAS.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Too late now I guess... but for future reference... Set up a “BQM” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of all your network disconnections, useful data to have in discussions with VM.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.