Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

House extension wi-fi woes

I have had an house extension built but I am unable to get a wi-fi signal in it. I download the Connect app which confirmed there was a problem and suggested the Wi-Fi Booster which was available free of charge as I had a Hub3 router. It offered to guide me through the purchase process but eventuallt said it was unable to upgrade online.

I contacted broadband support and eventually got through after about 20 minutes. To cut a VERY long story short, they said a Booster would cost me £3 extra PER MONTH! I told them to forget it.

I am now looking for help on here or recommendations for Wi-Fi boosters which will solve my problem

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: House extension wi-fi woes

recommendation is to not go down the booster router.
you should spend your money on a better router which will almost certainly have better wifi coverage.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

A mesh system would be more fitting for an extension or running a cable from the hub to the extension and fitting a wireless access point.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

spgray and Gary are right.

N.B. - a lot of new "extensions/conversions" are often wired up by the sparks on a separate electrical circuit and so powerline type boosters/connections are unlikely to work.

Just check that too - and then still buy a decent Mesh system or router + wireless access points 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Which router would you recommend ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As for recommendations, only you know the ...

Budget,

Environment,

Workload the device will have to support.

Have a look >> HERE <<.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@aornufc wrote:

Which router would you recommend ?

Bit like asking "which car should I get"? 😎

Some thoughts I have posted before - others will add their twopennyworth.

-------------------------------------------------

Get either.....

1) A Mesh System

2) A Wireless router

3) A Wireless access points

OR

4) A combination of the above

Depending on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£60-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router but 'may' not alone solve the wifi in your house, but spending up to ~£500 will get the Rolls Royce solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system. You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat.

Good options for Access points are Ubiquiti, (routers also) and from these companies for their WiFi routers or Mesh systems such as TP-Link Deco's M4/M5, Linksys Velop's, Tenda Nova's, Netgear Orbi's (and others) – I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than Johnnie-come-latley's like Google, BT, Amazon etc. Also be sure the router or Mesh specifically say that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports.

Recently, just as an example, two of my friends who live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, both just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs (£150) and both told me it is - “absolutely brilliant with full wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”.  The first unit becomes the new router - you need to check whether the one you look at has all the "features you need.  Plus, ethernet ports are usually limited to 1 or 2, so you may need to add in an unmanaged GB switch (<£20) in there as well.  My mates also get "full speeds" from the ethernet ports on the Deco's in the remote locations.    Finally if you get a 3-pack of any Mesh system, and that doesn’t cover dead spots everywhere, you can just add in extra unit(s).

Take a look at what fits your needs, tech ability, house layout and budget. Use sites like Techradar & Techadvisor for reviews of "Best Routers" or "Best Mesh".    Post again if you want personal recommendations from others on your short list

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Personally I'd say go with a mesh system rather than a standalone router, because for most users the benefits of a mesh system (good widespread wifi coverage) outweigh the benefits of a standalone single router (controllability, peak speeds at each device).  If you want to go down the mesh route start from the TP-Link Deco M4 that I use and happily recommend and work upwards if you want to spend more. I'll let other call recommendations for routers, but as a general rule if it is from Asus and costs at least £80 then you're looking at a good choice.

Depending on the extension, you may have special requirements.  If the wifi signal needs to pass through what has been constructed as an external wall (solid brick, maybe double thickness) then regardless of what you buy, the signal will drop off.  If that is the case, and that's looking like a problem, you can get round it by using an ethernet cable between the hub (or router, or primary mesh unit) and a wireless access point or mesh unit in the extension.  

If you can run the cable from the existing hub to the extension, then that could be the cheapest option: 20 metres of Cat 6 cable and a £35 TP-LInk Archer C50 configured in access point mode.  Won't be as seamless as a mesh system, nor have the capability of (say) and Asus RT-AX55, but it would work.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks