Menu
targaid
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Honor 3 router connection

I thought I'd give the Honor 3 a go after some good reviews and it seems to match my needs. I'm just wondering if anyone has managed to get it connected? Everything I read indicates that after setting the hub 3 to modem mode it should be near-automatic. I spent hours at it last night and was only told it could not connect. Eventually had to factory reset the hub 3,too, as I couldn't get back into it either by phone or by lan-attached pc to restore router mode.

I remember one site mentioning the Virgin setup could be temperamental and required a specific order, but I've lost track of the site. Any advice, please?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Honor 3 router connection

ax wifi 6 router for sub £50.
Yah... No
lol

let us know how the speeds are over 802.11ax
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
ax wifi 6 router for sub £50.
Yah... No
lol

let us know how the speeds are over 802.11ax

Yup. Hard pass from me too!

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
targaid
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, really helpful, thanks.

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Specific order is as below;
1 - Setup Hub in Modem mode and switch off.
2 - Setup Honor in Router mode and switch off.
3 - Cable connect both
4 - Switch on Honor and wait 5 minutes to stabilise
5 - Switch on Hub and wait 5 minutes to stabilise.
This order should get you working as the Hub needs to see the MAC address of the Honor to allocate a WAN IP to the Honor.
0 Kudos
targaid
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm sure I posted a thanks to this before but...

Anyway, finally (between work, other DIY and my daughter needing the connection stable for school) to try this today. Not getting anywhere and feeling like a complete putz.

I get:

Screenshot_2021-02-21-17-27-08-71.jpg

 Then:

Screenshot_2021-02-21-17-28-00-74.jpg

 Then:

Screenshot_2021-02-21-17-23-01-66.jpg

I'm also mildly confused by step #2 as the Honour only has a router so I'm pretty sure that's its default setting. I can't get into it to check settings even by plugging a laptop directly into a LAN port to check.

I've set up routers on other services and never had an issue but I just can't see what I'm missing with this. It's supposed to be really easy. Maybe I'm getting too old to handle tech any more 🤤

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You don’t need a username and password.

You need to set the connection type to DHCP/Automatic

That and it’s a cheap Chinese router...

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
targaid
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Odd that it automatically fills those in, then, but I'll clear them off when I next get a chance to mess around with the setup. Thanks.

Yes, I know it's a cheap router but it's a well-reviewed cheap router. I have one WiFi 6 compatible device at the moment and I want to see how it works and to, hopefully, improve the lousy coverage the Virgin hub gives me. I was with SSE before switching and their router was roundly lambasted but gave me better coverage than I now get. Only the room the hub 3 is in and the room above get decent coverage now and previously I had coverage in every room. I now have total deadspots I never had before. So, this is an experiment rather than a final solution.

0 Kudos
Gr8manc
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

just installed my Honor 3 router after second attempt! Followed this post

Unplug the Honor and switch it off. Put the VM hub into modem mode and wait for the base light to turn magenta (might look red)Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub must then be powered off. Then, set up your Honor with the WAN port set to be in DHCP mode(probably will be already). Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the WAN cable to the VM hub (port 1 for me)and now power up the VM hub and leave to initialise you should then get a connection. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect your own router to the VM hub.

Not sure about the Honor sorting out its own setting as before following the above I had already been into its settings and changed to DHCP before rebooting everything and starting again when I couldn’t get it going. You may have to try the above more than once. All seems good so far and even if wifi bars drop on my phone connection is still good and slightly better speed than the hub.

Oh and if like me you get stuck and need the Hub back in wifi mode then you unplug Ethernet cables then stick a pin in the reset button on the back of the hub for a full 60 seconds, will reset out of modem mode and back to wifi.

I’m not tech wizard but it worked for me.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos