cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homehub 5 stability

bonerp
Tuning in

Hi Since switching to the hh5 it seems I'm having stability issues with network errors on the wifi. 

I use Nest cams and recently bought a EUFY s330 s40 camera.  Connected it up ok, but notifications (motion) are woefully slow (I'm across the road and 50m away before I get the message and the same when at home on the wifi) and the initial opening takes a while too.  My Nest doorbell have also taken a dive and connection is slow/can't really talk to whoever is at the door.  Further streaming to my nest hub is very laggy.

Done a restart/reconnected etc no change.

I downloaded the logs, sent them off to the manufacturer Eufy and they confirmed the network errors and questioned stability.

I've used the Virgin connect app to check set up and seems ok apart from an issue with conflicting settings - 2 network names (the same) appear but when I select one it errors saying opps something went wrong and hub5 customers are facing issues with 'pause'?!

I've ordered a TP-Link mesh as find them more stable than some broadband routers so will try that in the hope it stabilises these issues, but is there a known problem with Hub5?

I also use one of the pods upstairs.  I assume once the mesh is installed that will become useless?

THANKS!

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes the Hub5 has been reported many times for these issue.  there are several thread that offer things to change to improve it which often work but can also spontaneously revert back.

Fortunately you have already sourced the best solution.  Assuming devices on ethernet cables are working exactly as they should (??)  the Mesh will sort the wifi issues. Pods will not work when/if you put the Hub into modem mode - which you should - the Mesh router will be a quantum leap better in terms of performance than that in the Hub.

So what exact system have you ordered from TP-Link ? Also there is a procedure to follow when setting them up.  Ask back here if you want to see it

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John, I've ordered Deco X60 AX5400.

Modem mode, noted!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Nice kit 😎 Connect it thus....

--------------------------------------

Switch on and set up your first Deco unit (in its settings) to have its WAN port set to be in.. Dynamic/Automatic IP or DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway.  You will need to register it on the TP-Link website.  The App may help here

Then, disconnect all cables from it and switch it off

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to register the correct colour - solid green for the Hub5

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off. Switch your first X60 on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in a Cat6a ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub - any port should do - though I would use the 2.5 GB Hub port

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection.

Use the recommended App to optimally connect the other Mesh units to the master one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub. You might also set the SSID and key/password on the new Mesh to match that on the HUB so when you swap over, all your wireless devices should just connect automatically.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Awesome thank you. Delivery isn't for another week or so. Will let you know how it goes.