Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Home phone line rental and Home Hub 4

Should I assume if I connect my home phone directly to the home hub 4, it would be illegal for VM to charge me line rental? I have read that VM should no longer make this charge. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home phone line rental and Home Hub 4

No, its not illegal. You still have a line in use from your house, but it uses the coax cable & not a seperate telephone wire. From the local street node it does exactly the same as it has always done, going back to the local headend telephone exchange.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Plug your phone in and see if it works, if it does, contact VM and question the line rental charges.

Simples.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Where have you read that?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Various sources on line but can't remember which. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

They might be referring to this from a while ago.

https://www.asa.org.uk/news/changes-to-broadband-price-claims-in-ads-comes-into-force-today.html
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Bit strange. When I queried the very high charge for line rental with VM some time ago, I was told this was for maintenance of the phone line. No mention of the exchange. If I am not using the phone line..........

It is probably not worth the hassle. Just a thought.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The Hub based lines still have technology that requires maintenance that's separate to the broadband connection.

Also you don't have to have a home phone with Virgin Media. You can have broadband by itself. When you also have TV the cost difference can make it worth keeping the line even when you don't use it.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Tags (1)
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@geoffreys wrote:

Bit strange. When I queried the very high charge for line rental with VM some time ago, I was told this was for maintenance of the phone line. No mention of the exchange. If I am not using the phone line..........

Very high. It is no higher than many other providers. The difference with VM is you can ditch the landline phone service if you don’t use it. The problem is you lose a huge chunk of “buy everything in the same place” discount for doing so. ALL providers will be moving to hub based phone services by 2025, & as stated before, thanks to an ASA ruling line rental charges are now effectively “absorbed” into the Broadband price & must not be stated separately.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@geoffreys wrote:

The "line" would be useless if it didn't lead anywhere.

In telephone terms, line means the service of connecting your phone to and from other numbers in the exchange.

0 Kudos