Menu
JHome
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Home network lost access when internet down

Past two days I had issues with the internet connection via Virgin Home Hub 3. Each time the internet connection dropped, the router also blocked WiFi access to my home network. Not something I would expect.

I would expect that my home network still be functioning and accessible regardless of the state of the internet connection.

Is anyone able to offer a suggestion to prevent this from happening in the future other than re-wiring the home network with a different WiFi hub.

Hub 3.0 device informationThe information below shows current status of this Hub 3.0.

Standard specification compliant: DOCSIS 3.0
Hardware version: 10
Software version: 9.1.2103.102
Cable MAC address:
Cable modem serial number:
System up time: 0 days 23h:32m:5s
Network access: Allowed
WAN IP settings
Your current Hub 3.0 internet settings are displayed below
MAC address:
IPv4 address:
Default gateway:
IPv4 lease time: 5 days 4h:35m:41s
IPv4 lease expire: 26/06/2021 23:13:25.00
IPv4 DNS servers:

(Mac and IP addresses were removed)

0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home network lost access when internet down

The Hub3 is an underpowered device, so when it loses the connection to the VM CMTS equipment at the other end of your cable it goes into a retry loop. Most of the CPU is busy trying to reestablish the connection and other services, WiFi/network switch suffer. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@JHome wrote:

I would expect that my home network still be functioning and accessible regardless of the state of the internet connection.

Is anyone able to offer a suggestion to prevent this from happening in the future other than re-wiring the home network with a different WiFi hub.

With hub 3 it does that so you would need to get your own router with 1Gb ports and use modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi @JHome,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm very sorry to hear that you've been having some issues with your connection recently. How regularly are you experiencing the drops that you're referring to? If the problem is ongoing today, have you checked our Service Status page to ensure there are no known area impacting faults being reported there?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos