Menu
Reply
farhanAli20
  • 74
  • 1
  • 3
Dialled in
215 Views
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Home Network Setup

Hello all, I hope your well.

I live in a 4 bedroom end terraced house. Currently my Super Hub 3 (SH3) is located in my bedroom which is at the far end of the house.

For the past few months I've been using TP-Link TL-SG105S (ethernet switch) for devices to be connected as we have quite few wired devices, using 30 meter Cat5 cable leading into living room which has work flawlessly. 

But the WiFi is absolutely rubbish. 

I'm aware the SH3 doesn't have the best WiFi range, so I've purchased Asus RP-AC68U Wireless AC1900 but finding it difficult to setup.

SH3 in modern mode > Connected to Asus RP-AC68U using Wire. After its been sync I disconnect the Asus device and relocate it to living room. But every time I connect any Wired device the entire broadband drops out. Also the WiFi has no improvement in fact its worse using Asus. 

Can someone please share some light.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Reply
kpanchev
  • 64
  • 4
  • 7
Dialled in
200 Views
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home Network Setup

If your SH3 is in modem mode, it will provide internet to only one device, which needs to be connected to the top Ethernet port. This should be your Asus router.

If you disconnect the Asus router and move it to another location, do you still connect its WAN port to Port 1 on the SH3?

Also you need to connect any wired devices to the Ethernet ports of the Asus router, not the SH3 ports.

Virgin Coax-->SH3 in modem mode, Port1-->WAN Port on Asus router-->WiFi setup, Ethernet ports-->TP-Link Switch-->Any other wired devices(Can also be connected to any of the Asus ethernet ports).

legacy1
  • 15.41K
  • 659
  • 1.51K
Alessandro Volta
190 Views
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home Network Setup

You likely have the switch to the hub in modem mode and the Asus moved to the living room to the switch this will not work only one source MAC for one WAN IP is allowed. You could connect a long cable to the hub in modem mode then to the Asus and then run a cable back to the bedroom but it easier to have the Asus in the bedroom and get a AP for the living room.

You can by two VLAN switches have the hub in the bedroom with VLAN switch in modem mode with LAN devices going to to VLAN switch that goes the the other VLAN switch in the living room with the Asus router by one cable run between bedroom to living room if you set it up right.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Reply
farhanAli20
  • 74
  • 1
  • 3
Dialled in
169 Views
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home Network Setup

Hello kpanchev, Thanks for your reply.


@kpanchev wrote:

If you disconnect the Asus router and move it to another location, do you still connect its WAN port to Port 1 on the SH3?


I've searched around but it appears the Asus device doesn't have WAN ports as its a Wireless repeater. Any of the 5 ports can be used. So should I connect Port 1 on SH3 on any Ports on Asus device while the SH3 is in modern mode? 

So just to confirm the setup:

Virgin Media > Modern Mode, Port 1 on SH3 > Asus Port,

Asus Ports > TP Link Switch > Any wired device connect to switch

0 Kudos
Reply
tehwolf
  • 1.55K
  • 250
  • 379
Superfast
156 Views
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home Network Setup


@farhanAli20 wrote:

Hello kpanchev, Thanks for your reply.


@kpanchev wrote:

If you disconnect the Asus router and move it to another location, do you still connect its WAN port to Port 1 on the SH3?


I've searched around but it appears the Asus device doesn't have WAN ports as its a Wireless repeater. Any of the 5 ports can be used. So should I connect Port 1 on SH3 on any Ports on Asus device while the SH3 is in modern mode? 

So just to confirm the setup:

Virgin Media > Modern Mode, Port 1 on SH3 > Asus Port,

Asus Ports > TP Link Switch > Any wired device connect to switch


I see the problem 🙂  

We all assumed you'd bought an ASUS router, but it's actually a repeater.

For this to work you will need to leave the VM hub in router mode.. then position the ASUS device somewhere that it has a decent signal to the hub and also broadcasts the network further into the house... 

The devices connected to the switch will continue to work..

You can't use modem mode with the equipment that you have bought.

An alternative setup would be to replace the repeater you've bought with a router.. put the hub into modem mode, then use the cable that you currently have running from the bedroom to the lounge to connect the hub and the ASUS router together.. then, if you still need more ports, connect a cable from the ASUS hub to the switch you have.. 

 

farhanAli20
  • 74
  • 1
  • 3
Dialled in
129 Views
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home Network Setup

@tehwolf, Thanks for reply.

Ouch! Sorry I should have mentioned Asus isn't a router, my bad haha

What do you think of the following product: 

ASUS RT-AC85P WiFi Cable & Fibre Router - AC 2400, Dual-band - its classed as a WiFi router so looks like will do the job

 

0 Kudos
Reply
legacy1
  • 15.41K
  • 659
  • 1.51K
Alessandro Volta
123 Views
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home Network Setup


@farhanAli20 wrote:

ASUS RT-AC85P WiFi Cable & Fibre Router - AC 2400, Dual-band - its classed as a WiFi router so looks like will do the job

 


Looks fine or with wifi 6 support at about the same price.

ASUS RT-AX56U Wifi 6 AX1800 Dual-Band Mesh Wifi System Router, AI Mesh, OFDMA + MU-MIMO Tech, 1024 Q...

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Reply
tehwolf
  • 1.55K
  • 250
  • 379
Superfast
120 Views
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home Network Setup


@farhanAli20 wrote:

@tehwolf, Thanks for reply.

Ouch! Sorry I should have mentioned Asus isn't a router, my bad haha

What do you think of the following product: 

ASUS RT-AC85P WiFi Cable & Fibre Router - AC 2400, Dual-band - its classed as a WiFi router so looks like will do the job

 


Should be fine - or the one that Legacy mentioned too would also be fine. My only concern would be that when your hub is in modem mode, and you've got your main router at the other end of the house, are you gonna get wifi back in the bedroom? there are limits, no matter how good the router 🙂

Have you considered a mesh system?  you could get a TP-Link Deco M4 system for ~100 (though think it's currently 130 - it goes up and down between 100 and 130 pretty regularly). Mesh systems are more focused on providing wifi signal over a larger area at the cost of raw throughput, but the reviews of the deco range around here are always positive.. 

0 Kudos
Reply
farhanAli20
  • 74
  • 1
  • 3
Dialled in
67 Views
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home Network Setup

@legacy1, Thanks for reply.

Yeah looks promising I will bookmark to consider before purchasing


@tehwolf wrote:

@farhanAli20 wrote:

@tehwolf, Thanks for reply.

Ouch! Sorry I should have mentioned Asus isn't a router, my bad haha

What do you think of the following product: 

ASUS RT-AC85P WiFi Cable & Fibre Router - AC 2400, Dual-band - its classed as a WiFi router so looks like will do the job

 


Should be fine - or the one that Legacy mentioned too would also be fine. My only concern would be that when your hub is in modem mode, and you've got your main router at the other end of the house, are you gonna get wifi back in the bedroom? there are limits, no matter how good the router 🙂

Have you considered a mesh system?  you could get a TP-Link Deco M4 system for ~100 (though think it's currently 130 - it goes up and down between 100 and 130 pretty regularly). Mesh systems are more focused on providing wifi signal over a larger area at the cost of raw throughput, but the reviews of the deco range around here are always positive.. 

 That's my only concern WiFi near my bedroom will be very limited, I highly doubt decent connection will be available.

I've been following YouTuber : TechFlow who does an awesome job with these type of issues. I've also considered Mesh system, in fact was going to mention about Deco M4, looks like you beat me to it.

When it comes to mesh system; 1 is connected to SH3 using ethernet cable other 2 placed around the house? Do I still need to put SH3 in modern mode when using mesh system?

0 Kudos
Reply