Menu
sbusername
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

High latency and packet loss with SuperHub 3 in Modem mode when downloading

I have Virgin Media's 350M package with a new SuperHub 3 on an contract that started in August. I have the SuperHub 3 in modem mode as I use a secondary firewall behind it (pfsense).

I've noticed that at any time a large download begins, particularly with many peers if a torrent file, the connection slows to a craw with a sharp increase in latency and packet loss (0% > 30%+ in a matter of seconds). This also occurs during online conference calls with many participants which affects my ability to work from home. It's impossible to deny this correlation between these activities and poor connection quality as I can toggle a download/call and visibly see the quality hit the floor.

While not performing these activities my network connection is perfectly fine with no noticeable issues. If I turn the SuperHub back to router mode the issues also do not appear. However that is not a feasible arrangement due to double NAT.

How can I fix these issues?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: High latency and packet loss with SuperHub 3 in Modem mode when downloading

Its a odd one when doing a download you will buffer in the hub rate limit with no QoS being done so the fix is to set the pfsense QoS to 340Mb download and 35Mb upload.

But if your just doing a online conference calls then it should be fine.

Pfsense has reports of being bad for the hub in modem mode then in router mode and we are not sure why I don't know if maybe its to do with the NIC link to the hub and VM have not updated the modem mode code but have for router mode?

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
sbusername
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, sorry I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by 'buffer in the hub rate limit with no QoS'. Could you explain this?

I'm also not following your comment on the NIC link, what do you mean?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Do a download in steam like and run a ping -t 194.168.4.100 you see your ping goes high this is because the hub is rate limiting your connection and not doing any QoS so setup QoS on your pfsense to 340Mb download and 35Mb upload and try again.

Its also reported that torrent in modem mode causes problems when in router mode it does not that could be due to VM setting a session limit or something in modem mode which seem to happen in hub 3 and not in hubs 1/2. 

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
sbusername
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for this. I've tried changing QoS settings on pfSense (called 'Traffic Shaping') but it has not made any difference. It sounds like there is something wrong with the SuperHub 3 specifically being in modem mode which is causing this. I've read about issues with the Puma 6 processor causing high latency and packet loss but it was apparently fixed some time ago. Could it be that the bug was fixed in router mode but not in modem mode?

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What speed do you get using a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
sbusername
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,

When troubleshooting with the SH3 in router mode I can reliably get ~250Mbps down which matches the maximum rate I have ever seen. That's using a direct connection with Cat6 cable into my laptop. For obvious reasons I've never tried the same direct connection in modem mode..

I should note I've never been able to get the 350Mbps I pay for but I've chalked that up to likely physical limitations of my line-speed/over-subscription in my area.

0 Kudos
B0S3Glass
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Did you ever figure this out? Seems I am running in to the same issue with modem mode and pfsense.. super hub 3 too

The funny thing is, it wasn't until the end of last year that this issue started happening and it had been running happily prior to this
0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post and for reaching out to the Community Fourms, B0S3Glass,

I've run a remote diagnostic on your connect and our records show there is already an appointment booked for you. You can find out more here.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos