Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

High Ping spikes

Recently changed rooms, routed everything through and had an engineer replace coax cable and said everything was fixed. Indeed He brought it back online and delivered a perfect service but I'm still getting extremely high ping spikes ranging over 2000 every 10-15 seconds.

I'm struggling and struggling to get in touch with Virgin now and this issue is effecting VoiP calls for work and I'm struggling to work from home with this. I don't know what else to do

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: High Ping spikes

Are you connected via wireless?

I suspect there are network issues at the moment that are not being reported. I am having the same types of issues.

My Broadband Ping - 24hr monitor
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm wired at the moment. Ping seems to kick off as soon as I talk on application like Discord or Zoom etc, I've started monitoring of my network now so we shall see what shows up

Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Good luck. I'd recommend using BQM like I am in my signature as this community like to view the results which can be easily shared. It's also worth posting up the network log, downstream and upstream stats from your virgin hub as they will no doubt ask for them.

My Broadband Ping - 24hr monitor
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Appreciate your response on this. I had an awful experience with customer service trying to rectify this, spent two hours on call over an hour on hold to be told they wanted to charge me 99 pound for an engineer. They wouldn't send one out without a screenshot of my ping issues even though I was in work at the time. I told them about the issue and clearly told them what was wrong, they then told me I was wrong. Anyway I decided to go out and repair it myself.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@grimesa wrote:

I'm wired at the moment. Ping seems to kick off as soon as I talk on application like Discord or Zoom etc, I've started monitoring of my network now so we shall see what shows up

I don't know about Discord but Zoom will always have large latency in its current state. If you Zoom call someone in the next room ALL the traffic is routed through servers in the USA.

Have a read of this >> article <<.

The only real things that you can do to improve matters is to ...

Use ethernet cable connected devices,

Disconnect all unneeded devices from the Hub,

Change the video camera settings to lower fidelity.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response. I understand that, I hadn’t had any issues till I moved rooms and did inform them my coaxial cable was the issue. Replaced it yesterday and internet is now flawless  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Repair what cable? The Coax cable?

I suggest you read your T's and C's as you are not allowed to tamper with the cable, or use any third-party cabling as this can introduce interference back to the cabinet and affect other users

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I’ve used virgin media cabling that was provided with already. 

0 Kudos