I started noticing today some slowness while working from home.
Initially I thought it was my VPN, but after disconnecting from it, the issues persist.
After some toubleshooting I noticed that: 1. I'm getting packet loss when pinging various addresses including Virgin Media's own DNS servers
2. I'm getting very high latency (1000ms and more) when doing the above
3. the Ookla speed test showed a speed of 0.13Mbps download !
I took a liberty and checked the VirginMedia service status, and it showed that my broadband is all OK. (green - no issues). Ran some tests - same thing...
I then took a liberty of running a TRACEROUTE, which shows that a router in Hayes (haye-core-2a-xe-1132-0.network.virginmedia.net (18.104.22.168) ), is having issues and a very high latency. Perhaps someone could poke it with a stick please ?
$ traceroute 22.214.171.124
traceroute to 126.96.36.199 (188.8.131.52), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
1 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1) 8.937 ms 31.852 ms 7.992 ms
2 * * *
3 haye-core-2a-xe-1132-0.network.virginmedia.net (184.108.40.206) 1250.386 ms 592.420 ms 907.090 ms
4 * * *
5 tele-ic-7-ae2-0.network.virginmedia.net (220.127.116.11) 43.783 ms 46.156 ms 20.839 ms
6 74-14-250-212.static.virginm.net (18.104.22.168) 46.866 ms 31.656 ms 26.985 ms
7 22.214.171.124 (126.96.36.199) 43.139 ms
188.8.131.52 (184.108.40.206) 22.101 ms
220.127.116.11 (18.104.22.168) 27.297 ms
8 22.214.171.124 (126.96.36.199) 62.039 ms
188.8.131.52 (184.108.40.206) 165.895 ms
220.127.116.11 (18.104.22.168) 100.996 ms
9 dns.google (22.214.171.124) 92.104 ms 131.266 ms 96.721 ms
What speeds do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?
It looks like shortly after I posted the traceroute results, the latency on that router in Hayes went down to normal.
And things started to return to normal slowly... Initially while the issue was on - my speed went down to 0.13Mbps download (according to Ookla). And then gradually went up again..
I then decided to restart the hub just for the sake of it. And once it cam eback, things were / are back to normal, with latency being low, and download speed being around 60-70Mbps out of 100Mbps, which is fine. (as I'm on wifi and behind a wifi extender - my office room is behind a few walls, so I have to use extender to get a good strong signal in this room).
Anyway - since this is Sunday, I assume it might have been some routine maintenance or something. As after a while it all went back to being OK again, with latency going back to around 15ms.