Menu
AWildMat
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

High Latency During Day Time

I need help troubleshooting my network. I experience heavy latency during the day which affects me when using VoIP services and playing games. It happens every day starting from (approximately) 8am till 12 am, at these times I will experience random/constant ping spikes when playing video games and talking to people on services such as discord or Microsoft Teams. This has been happening for months and has infuriated me to the point where I'm ready to leave virgin (especially when I just received a letter saying my bill is going up for a service that does not even work properly).

I have a maximum of 5-6 devices on the network on at the same time. This issue happens regardless of if my desktop is the only one connected or if there are multiple devices running at the same time. I have tried using virgins tool on the hub to identify any faults in my network but no issues were found. I have tried calling in but I was left on hold for 30 minutes (There is a minutely rate so I had to pay for that) and afterwards all that was done is my router was reset and I got told if the issue persists call in a week.

I am asking for help in troubleshooting this issue. I can only assume its some sort of contention (at my street maybe? Since it happens only during day time?). At night time there is absolutely nothing wrong with my network. I would also like to add that my download and upload speeds do not fluctuate and I am happy with those. I have attached 2 traceroutes, one to blizzard servers of the game I regularly play and have major issues with and the other to the google DNS. (Please let me know if I have left any sensitive information included in the pictures, I tried my best) 

DISGUSTING PING.PNG

Ping not only blizzard.PNG

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: High Latency During Day Time

if it's happening regularly at the same times every day, it is most likely due to contention - heavy loading on the network due to many people working from home using Teams etc, like you.  There is little that you can do about this I'm afraid. 

AWildMat
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It's happening every day. All day, its to the point where its unusable. If it cannot be fixed then looks like my only option is to switch providers ;/ Sad to hear. Thank you for the response.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

By all day, do you mean 24 hours? That is a different matter to your original post.

Set up a BQM and post a link here after a day.  https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

AWildMat
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

All day meaning all of my day as long as I am awake. I guess I should have been more specific, my bad. I have set up a BQM monitor and I will wait a day for the graph to plot. I did to a speed test on the website which resulted in 55.8 Mbp/s Download and 5.8 upload which his considerably lower than what I usually have however I did conduct this at peak times so I'm not too fussed. Latency however showed 229 =/. 

0 Kudos
AWildMat
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

So after checking the monitor today this is what I have. The internet is once again barely usable to play games and use VoIP applications. Even streaming videos buffers sometimes.  

Monitor 10 am.PNG

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes, you have severe contention on that line. Very heavy use in the area from everyone busy working, schooling, and playing on line.

I fear there is little you can do about it other than complain and add your voice to others.

You could try another ISP, but will it be any better?

0 Kudos