Menu
BevB2
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Help with wifi connection in all areas of house please

We have 2/3 adults trying to work from home in a stone house and struggling! Unless you are in the same room as the HUB 3 router zoom calls and listening to lectures are impossible.

We already have the VM booster which do not seem to make any difference. We pay for the VM350 having recently upgraded from VM200 but this has not helped, unfortunately.

Using my speedcheck.net the speeds in the room with the router vary from downloads of 11.9 to 46.7 Mbps. In other areas of the house from 5 to 12.5 Mbps. The boosters make little or no difference.

I am not an IT expert but managed to set up this quality monitor to see if this can help identify the problem. We turn off the wifi at night which will explain the red area!

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/f6c8870054ba38a3ee8462c9ac375a5beb64e95b-26-04-2021

I'd be so grateful for any advice on what we can do.

Thank you 

0 Kudos
kopollo
Tuning in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Help with wifi connection in all areas of house please

What are your wifi channel settings? 📱

[video]

0 Kudos
sophist
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

the quality of your wifi and the speed of the underlying connection (200mb / 350mb) are completely unrelated. Upgrading your speed will have had no impact on the quality of your wifi connection.

Based on what you've said, it sounds like your property is not what VM had in mind as the "average" UK home (based on a lot of complaints around here, VM modeled the average home on a 4mx4m bedsit ;p).  If you want to improve your wifi you're going to have to invest in some better wifi equipment.

You have two options, you can either run some cables to a couple of locations within the property and install access points on the end of those cables or you can look into buying a mesh system that tries to achieve the same thing without the need to run cables.  Option 1 is the gold standard, but many people are put off by the requirement to run cables.  Option 2 is certainly more convenient, and whilst it will almost certainly improve things quite a bit, you still live in a house with thick stone walls, and wifi is wifi.. sooo... it won't be perfect.

0 Kudos
BevB2
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply. Channel 1 (Auto) on 2.4 and channel 44 (auto) on 5.

0 Kudos
BevB2
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. I'll look into both options and cancel the upgrade on the package and the boosters!

0 Kudos