Menu
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Help with setting up router with Virgin Media Hub 3.0

Hello,

I posted this to the tech support subreddit but didn’t get any responses, I’m hoping somebody has had this issue before and can advise what best to do - if this is the wrong subreddit to post to please let me know!

I had Virgin Media installed in my home a few months ago, the WiFi has a lot of black spots throughout the house so I thought to try with a separate router (as seems to be what a lot of people on here advise).

I put the Hub 3.0 in to modem mode and it rebooted.

I am then using the Netgear Nighthawk app to setup the router with it. The router is turning on all good and the WiFi is working on it.

During the setup process it asks to connect to the modem (Hub 3.0) and it then tests the internet connection between the router and the Hub 3.0. When I get to the connecting to internet page it states that the router can not obtain an internet connection. It advises to reboot the router (which I’ve done numerous times), check the cables are all plugged in correctly (again I ensured everything is plugged in correct). The last thing it asks is if I need a static IP instead or to us PPPoE as it can’t connect to the internet - these parts I am very unsure on what to do and so have not progressed with either of these.

I’ve tested my laptop wired in to the Hub 3.0 when in modem mode and the internet is still connected (able to ping the modem and browse the web successfully ) so I know the Hub 3.0 is working in Modem mode and there is not an issue there.

For some reason the router does not seem to get an internet connection from the Hub 3.0.

Hoping anybody can help or best advise! Many thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Help with setting up router with Virgin Media Hub 3.0

@agalmethu35 wrote:

Hello,

I posted this to the tech support subreddit but didn’t get any responses, I’m hoping somebody has had this issue before and can advise what best to do - if this is the wrong subreddit to post to please let me know!

I had Virgin Media installed in my home a few months ago, the WiFi has a lot of black spots throughout the house so I thought to try with a separate router (as seems to be what a lot of people on here advise).

I put the Hub 3.0 in to modem mode and it rebooted.

I am then using the Netgear Nighthawk app to setup the router with it. The router is turning on all good and the WiFi is working on it.

During the setup process it asks to connect to the modem (Hub 3.0) and it then tests the internet connection between the router and the Hub 3.0. When I get to the connecting to internet page it states that the router can not obtain an internet connection. It advises to reboot the router (which I’ve done numerous times), check the cables are all plugged in correctly (again I ensured everything is plugged in correct). The last thing it asks is if I need a static IP instead or to us PPPoE as it can’t connect to the internet - these parts I am very unsure on what to do and so have not progressed with either of these.

I’ve tested my laptop wired in to the Hub 3.0 when in modem mode and the internet is still connected (able to ping the modem and browse the web successfully ) so I know the Hub 3.0 is working in Modem mode and there is not an issue there.

For some reason the router does not seem to get an internet connection from the Hub 3.0.

Hoping anybody can help or best advise! Many thanks!

What are the options for the connection type? There should be one for 'Automatic' or 'Dynamic'.

Note when you connect the HUB to a device you MUST reboot the HUB to obtain an internet connection.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Help with setting up router with Virgin Media Hub 3.0

You want IPoE and DHCP set to auto.

@agalmethu35 wrote:

As this works you can connect this laptop to the Nighthawk login and in WAN/internet settings find clone MAC option to copy the MAC over from your laptop then connect the Nighthawk to the hub and that will work.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos