cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with increasing Wi-Fi through put speed

Iphoneman
Joining in

hi everyone, I hope you’re all well.I recently upgraded to the virgin media M500 package, but I’m lucky to get 250 mb in most parts of my house, and usually hovers more around the 100 mark.

I’ve checked on real speed, and it seems that I am getting the right speed to the house, but they are somehow being diluted once they reach the property, which could be because of a number of reasons.

I have changed the Wi-Fi channel, and set up a separate SSID for the five g network, but this hasn’t really made any improvements to the Wi-Fi, and can’t really move my hub three too much because of where the virgin wall socket is located.I’ve seen online that there are all sorts of range extenders Wi-Fi boosters and mesh network systems, but not being very tech savvy, I’m not sure what will be the best solution for my particular circumstance.To clarify, I am gettingWi-Fi in most parts of my house, there are no black spots, but I’m not getting the majority of the speed that I am paying for. Does anyone have any ideas how I can improve my situation.Also, Merry Christmas to everyone.

7 REPLIES 7

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

1 You could spend £25 to relocate the Hub to a more central location.
2 pay VM £8pm for up to 3 Pods.
3 Buy a Mesh system. 
4 Buy your own Access Points (Pods in VM speak)

Any of these should improve your WiFi but it depends on how deep your pockets are.  Personally I use 3 ceiling mounted AP’s and these cover the entire house and garden. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Get a better wifi router

---------------------------------------------------------------

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Bear in mind that if you rent the VM Pods they might improve your WiFi speeds, but VM will only guarantee 30 Mbps with them and you are already getting more than that.  If you are prepared to spend money it would be better used on getting devices that will own yourself.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

thanks for the suggestion, I was Wondering if you might know of any brands you’d recommend, as I say I’m not particularly tech savvy so anything that I can just set up straight out of the box would be ideal, but I also want to make sure it’s future proof and can provide at least 4 to 500 mb

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have a look at Mesh systems too.

The TP-Link Deco range is a good place to start - look at the S4, S7, M4, M5 & X  ranges  - all good value for a 3-pack.  These all have the 1GB ports you should go for - all easy to set up with help from here if needed.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just remember a single router will not give full coverage in most properties.  I would still recommend a good Mesh system for anyone who is not comfortable with setting up Wifi kit.

Have a look at the latest Wifi 6 Mesh units, from TP-Link, Netgear, Linksys etc.  I would avoid Google or Amazon kit as I believe they are hard to configure and are tied into their respective ecosystems.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@RedWine345 wrote:

@jpeg1 wrote:

Bear in mind that if you rent the VM Pods they might improve your WiFi speeds, but VM will only guarantee 30 Mbps with them and you are already getting more than that.  If you are prepared to spend money it would be better used on getting devices that will own yourself.

Actually no they don't! The Wifi 'guarantee' actually states that you will get 30 Mb/s in each room (with a whole bunch of exclusions) otherwise they'll give the customer a one-off £100 credit on their bill and wash their hands of the whole matter. Of course should the customer have further complaints, VM are quite within their rights to respond along the lines of 'we bought you off with the £100 credit, so shut up and go away'.

Isn't VM being given a smack by the ASA for 'misleading advertising' over this issue?

Look, any, any ISP which 'guarantees' x speed over Wifi is basically lying! Read the small print - it's just not possible, but ISPs rely on people a) not understanding the physics here, and b) not reading the small print and getting sucked in.

BT do the same on their whole home wifi packages.  Makes sense... its just to protect them from complaints from customers who live in a 12 bedroom stone built mansion but get no wifi in the east wing, the servants quarters or in the fourth floor billiards room 😎

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.