Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Help with getting wifi signal

Hi,

I’ve just signed up for the 100mb/s package and am trying to make it work in the bedrooms, only a few metres away.

It comes in to the house at the back and the tv box and modem are connected via the splitter cable. The modem and tv box are as far apart as they can be, with the modem lifted up and away from everything else. The speed standing next to the modem is around 60mb/s on wifi. If I go down the short corridor to the bedroom, where the desk is, it drops to about 1 or 2 mb/s, which is so bad and can’t handle calls. I’ve tried a Netgear extender at the modem end of the corridor to push it further but it doesn’t do much to improve it. (The modem and extender are in a clear line of sight and about 3 metres apart)

Previously we had talk talk as a provider and the modem is where the extender is sitting, and there were no problems at all with getting signal in the bedrooms.

I’ve just found another Virgin fibre connection in the second bedroom - is it possible to get something to push a signal out from there? Or has anyone got any advice?! It’s really bad and I wish we’d stuck with talk talk! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Help with getting wifi signal

You need to get a better router or a mesh system to extend and optimise the wifi

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos