forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
rodvale
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Help please, i cant listen to a online radio station

i hope someone can help with this.

i was listening to a online radio station at night via my mobile phone connected to my virgin wifi.

now all of a sudden it has gone off and the only way i can listen to it is by switching off the wifi on my phone and using the 3/4G connection (which is on the 3 network).

i can only listen to it on my computer if i use my VPN.

so it looks to me like the virgin hub2 is blocking this station or its being blocked somewhere else on the virgin network.

the station is called offshore radio sounds. so as i say i can only listen to it on my phone if i switch off my wifi and on my pc only if i use my VPN.

i cant see this being a firewall problem as i have my router setting on low, and there is nothing showing on the firewall log.

can anyone help please before i reprogram this router with a hammer lol

0 Kudos
rodvale
Joining in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Help please, i cant listen to a online radio station

this is the link that i'm trying to listen to, if your reading this please try it and leave a message saying if you can hear the radio station or not.

http://internetradiouk.com/play/offshore-sounds/

i can only listen to this if i use my VPN on my pc or switch off the wifi on my phone. i have read on here of other people having problems accessing other web pages because of a issue with virgin media but i don't know if they managed to sort the problem out 

thanks in advance Rod

0 Kudos
SonarUK
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

working fine for me.

https://twitter.com/SeriousFamily

Vivid 350 | Hub 3 modem mode | Asus RT-AC86U (Stock-Firmware)
0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Could be a geo-block by the content provider?  If your VPN permits it, can you choose different international exit points to confirm that (as you can with the free VPN built into Opera)?

I'm hazarding a guess that the content provider uses IP address allocation block lists, either they've updated their lists, or VM have allocated you a new IP, and your new/current IP is in the block list because it is (incorrectly) believed to be from a non-UK location?  We've seen this before a few times in the forum, and unfortunately it's not anything VM can directly change.  I'd be 99.5% certain this isn't anything to do with the hub's firewall settings, but I can't be 100% because mine is in modem mode.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

working for me.
It could also be the radio site is blocking your IP.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
rodvale
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

thanks for the reply, i have been thinking about that, but i have asked friends who live in the area to see if they can connect and the can, they are also VM users. Can you connect to it? the link is on the post above.

0 Kudos
rodvale
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

i have tried several countries on the VPN and they all work, maybe i could request a new ip address from VM. that would show wether its my connection or my ip address has been blocked by the site. 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@rodvale wrote:

i have tried several countries on the VPN and they all work, maybe i could request a new ip address from VM. that would show wether its my connection or my ip address has been blocked by the site. 

unfortunately, you can't request a new one - it doesn't work like that I'm afraid.

you could test it though - you would need to put your hub into "modem mode" and make sure that you only have one device connected to it via ethernet (a laptop maybe?) see if that works.. unfortunately when you revert to router mode, the old problem will probably come back as the hub will get the address it had before.. worth testing though.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

VM are not blocking this site. I have carried out a traceroute to the site and it is easily reached from my VM address, the traceroute completes:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.1316]
(c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\howar>tracert internetradiouk.com

Tracing route to internetradiouk.com [104.21.6.213]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     2 ms     2 ms     2 ms  192.168.0.1
  2    48 ms    17 ms    13 ms  10.53.35.97
  3    16 ms    33 ms    35 ms  croy-core-2b-xe-712-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.252.14.189]
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7    32 ms    28 ms    45 ms  86.85-254-62.static.virginmediabusiness.co.uk [62.254.85.86]
  8    36 ms    20 ms    33 ms  ldn-b1-link.telia.net [213.248.84.25]
  9    34 ms    47 ms    68 ms  ldn-bb4-link.ip.twelve99.net [62.115.122.180]
 10    37 ms     *        *     hbg-bb4-link.ip.twelve99.net [62.115.122.160]
 11    57 ms    43 ms    35 ms  hbg-b1-link.ip.twelve99.net [213.155.135.85]
 12    57 ms    50 ms    40 ms  cloudflare-ic-314537-hbg-b1.c.telia.net [62.115.61.202]
 13    70 ms    59 ms    59 ms  104.21.6.213

Trace complete.

C:\Users\howar>

The usual simple and most likely explanation of this is that the site is blocking your Hub's IP address. The fault is not with VM.  The traceroute proves that the route is clear from VM's servers to the site. You need to contact the site and explain what is happening and ask them to lift the block. You can establish your IP address by going here:

https://whatismyipaddress.com/

Just click on the link and your IP address comes up automatically. It is the first line you want.

If you want to do a traceroute then Google for advice on how to do it. It's not that difficult. You will usually need a win7 or win10 laptop or PC.