Menu
VCRBee
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Help! WiFi not meeting home schooling (and gaming!) needs!

I’m working from home and have 3 teens “remote learning”. They’re on video lessons from 8:15 to 3:50. In the evenings, they’re gaming on PlayStations.

At any one time, we most likely have the following connected to our network: (wired) PC1, PC2, printer; and (wireless) 4x phones, 3x iPads, 2x PS4, 1x PS Pro, TV (Amazon Firestick), Hive thermostat, Ring doorbell, kindle, Alexa, etc., etc.

Not good! Everything slow. Connection unreliable. Tempers raging!

Spoke to VM and have upgraded to expensive Hub4 with 1GB speed. Much anticipatory excitement! However, kids still can’t play Fortnite without connection issues and I can’t watch a film without it pausing periodically. 

WHAT DAN I DO?

I have 2xboosters but I understand their speed is limited. 

Do I need to be looking at wired connections in the kids’ rooms? How would I even go about that? Should we be using the Ethernet ports on the boosters for a wired connection? If yes, how can I get additional boosters? Annoyingly, Hub4 doesn’t work with VirginConnect app so I can’t order them there or optimize WiFi in each room (very annoying!!)

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated. 

Thanks from a frazzled mum. 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Help! WiFi not meeting home schooling (and gaming!) needs!

Start by setting up a bqm - this will help us see if there’s anything wrong with the underlying connection or of it’s just a WiFi problem.

Next, have you tested whether you get dropouts when connected to the hub via an Ethernet cable?

if it’s just a WiFi problem then you can cure it by ditching the boosters, putting the hub in modem mode and buying your own wireless kit. E.g a three pack of the tp link deco m9  is currently on sale and would vastly improve wireless connectivity in your property.. 

apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

"Spoke to VM and have upgraded to expensive Hub4 with 1GB speed"

if you were not getting the advertised speed before upgrading will never help.

Test with a wired connection it may be wireless connection problems and not the internet connection

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Agree with above re. your connection.  However, just to add, gaming should be on wired ethernet if at all possible as wifi is problematic.

VCRBee
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much for these suggestions. I’ll have to do some research (and some money saving!) before implementing ... to check that the solution you've suggested isn’t beyond my limited expertise!

Very disappointing that the VM person I spoke to wasn’t able to explain to me that increasing broadband speed wouldn’t necessarily help with WiFi. 😔

Thanks again. 

0 Kudos
VCRBee
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. I’ve only just learned that higher broadband speeds don’t necessarily convert to better WiFi!! I’m a novice at this. It’s a steep learning curve! Thanks for your help. 

0 Kudos
VCRBee
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Is there a way to get a wired connection into bedrooms located quite far from the hub? I can’t see how I could practically get an Ethernet cable that far (without being an ugly trip hazard!) Sorry if it’s a dumb question! 🤷🏻‍♀️
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@VCRBee wrote:
Is there a way to get a wired connection into bedrooms located quite far from the hub? I can’t see how I could practically get an Ethernet cable that far (without being an ugly trip hazard!) Sorry if it’s a dumb question! 🤷🏻‍♀️

Think outside the box. Ethernet cables can be run outside. You could go from the hub to the roof space externally and drop to the bedroom. The max distance for an Ethernet cable is 100 M so plenty of leeway. It’s easy to do really. Just do a bit of planning in advance. You could also add a WiFi access point to the upstairs ceiling if you want via this method.! 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The other option (not as good) that I use is to use Powerline Adapters

One connected to the Hub by short cable and the other in the room connected to the devices by short cable(s).  Use Cat6a ethernet cables to do the connections. I would also get the highest rated "speeds" you can afford.  Netgear do an AC2000 one as well as an AC1200 or 1000 - which should be good enough (its what I use).  Also "passthrough" power sockets are very useful to have.  Also decide whether you want the ethernet port(s) on the top or bottom of the units (they supply both). 

Note - dont plug them into extension cable boxes as that stuffs them (hence passthrough" is good) and your electrical circuits must at least go through the same consumer unit (fuse box) - noise on the circuitry can also be a problem but you wont know that until you try them - or have the circuit(s) tested.

Its not a cheap fix though as good ones are £80-100 and for that you could get an excellent introductory WiFi Mesh system (with GB ethernet ports) that would almost certainly do the job - like the TP-Link Deco M4's. Or pay a bit more for the M5's or even more for the better M9's or X20's.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.