Menu
nzgreenie
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Having to restart hub3, 3-4 times a week

Hi,

Since December I’ve been encountering a regular issue that internet cuts off suddenly, and I have to restart the hub which resolves it.

there are no warning / green lights on the Hub 3 when this happens, the sold white light stays on but there is no internet in or out.

As soon as I restart it works fine, so I lose internet for just a few minutes.

But I am working from home full time and often facilitate sessions and screen record. By luck I’ve managed to avoid this happening during a session but I  sure this won’t last.

The virgin app directs me to post here about the issue but if a tech person could get in contact to advise it would be most appreciated.

Thank you

nzgreenie

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Having to restart hub3, 3-4 times a week

Is it wired or wireless connections that are dropping? The whole light on the hub would indicate that the wan connection itself isn’t dropping...

edit: if you haven’t already tested with a cable please do

0 Kudos
nzgreenie
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi tehwolf,

it’s the wired connection - all signal stops going from the hub to my home network switch which carries it to the rest of the house Ethernet ports and devices like the TV. 

I have not replaced the cable between the Hub and the network switch...as the issue is intermittent and the solution is resetting the hub, could you confirm you think that could be a possible source of the issue? As it’s a bit fiddly to replace (its located behind storage under the stairs) and I’d have to wait a few days to order one in. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@nzgreenie wrote:

Hi tehwolf,

it’s the wired connection - all signal stops going from the hub to my home network switch which carries it to the rest of the house Ethernet ports and devices like the TV. 

I have not replaced the cable between the Hub and the network switch...as the issue is intermittent and the solution is resetting the hub, could you confirm you think that could be a possible source of the issue? As it’s a bit fiddly to replace (its located behind storage under the stairs) and I’d have to wait a few days to order one in. Thank you. 

It’s worth setting up a bqm to see if the connection itself is having any issues..

if you can connect a laptop or something directly to the hub and see if it also has the dropout issues when the rest of it happens that would help narrow it down a bit too..

it could be a cable issue, but it’d be hard to point at that without some more troubleshooting first

0 Kudos
nzgreenie
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That’s a good suggestion, plug a cable / laptop into another hub Ethernet port when it goes down to check it’s not anything beyond the hub. I haven’t seen if Virgin TV goes down too at that point.

So fair enough, next time it happens I will do this and post back the results.

I will follow that link and set up the bqm if it’s straight forward to do.

Thank you

0 Kudos
nzgreenie
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi,

I am still having issues. Here’s an update:

When it went down I plugged in a laptop to the Hub via another Ethernet cable point to confirm no internet coming from the hub. (Wireless internet also goes down. I have a WAP setup but also checked the signal coming from the hub too, this is also down).

Having these cut outs is quite an issue for the work my wife and I do as we do lots of facilitation. Having to reset the hub is quite dentimental to our work. So after it happened again I used the virgin app to call out an engineer who replaced the hub.

It was fine for 3 days and then we had another drop out - over the last 5 days it’s happens about 6 times.

I have tracked what we are doing when it happens - it often seems to be when a new device connects eg when I logged into my work laptop or starting up Prime. Like there is a peak load and this causes something to trip. (My speculation here). It’s not always the case - 2 nights ago I was just browsing Netflix, flicking through previews of TV shows and it cut out. 

You had asked for the bqm and here is the link below. I don’t think the packet loss comes at the cut out before we reset the hub, I think that is when we turn it off and on. But I can’t yet be sure as it hasn’t happened when we can be without internet for 30 min so it would properly show up in the graph. It needs to happen in the evening and it has it timed there yet.

TV into the TiVo box is unaffected when the internet cuts out.

Could this be out in the street where the problem lies - is there anything I can do to test that or should I call an engineer around again?

thanks,

Andy

HTTPS://Www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/fb094e14241525a2b447914abd180c996a0399d1

0 Kudos
nzgreenie
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Help - this is getting much worse, it’s now 3-4 times a day and has now happened midway for me in a critical presentation.

Last night, I was finally able to leave it for 30 min when it cut out, and on the bqm (at about 8:30pm) I could see the pings were still getting through, the data loss only shows up when I reset the Hub 3 at around 9pm.

But as per my previous post we already replaced the hub. 

I read on this forum I am not the only one experiencing this kind of issue. What’s going on? If I don’t get an answer this week I will have to quit Virgin as it’s not acceptable for me to have this problem.

0 Kudos