Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Having Wi-Fi dropout issues with my Nighthawk R7000 router, in dire need of help.

Hi, I am somewhat tech savvy but not overly so excuse me while I try word this right. I have the Nighthawk R7000 AC1900 Smart Wi-Fi router, My ISP is Virgin Media and I get around 300-350mbps. I have my Virgin Media set up in Modem mode on a cupboard with a 10m CAT.6 Ethernet Gigabit Lan network cable under the carpet connected to my Nighthawk router. My nighthawk router sits out on top of a chest of drawers under the TV, on the same chest of drawers is.. Apple TV 4K which is mostly always on. Xbox One S which is sometimes on.PS4 Pro which is mostly always on. Virgin media cable box which is always on. Then above it my TV which is always on too.

When I do a speed test on Wi-Fi with my devices I am getting the 300-350mbps speed, the problem is it doesn't act like it, browsing the web is slow, webpages take a while to load sometimes, Reddit and Twitter pictures and videos don't load quickly. it cuts out a lot and leaves me without internet for a few seconds to a minute several times a day. The only devices that don't have issues are the hardwired devices like my PS4 Pro, that never cuts out and always maintains a good connection while gaming online.

Another thing to note is in the house we have 2 virgin media accounts, One has got the VIP bundle so 350mbps, all the channels and 3 boxes, then I have my own virgin account with my own internet with a spererate router the only thing is they are all connected to the same booster in the loft, Maybe there isn't enough power in it to power 2 routers and 3 boxes? or is that not an issue.

Are my connection issues because the router is near all those devices at they are interfering? Is it the router itself? Is there anything I can do as this is becoming more annoying everyday.

Thanks for reading this and I hope you can help me out 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Having Wi-Fi dropout issues with my Nighthawk R7000 router, in dire need of help.

Change DNS on your router to 1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8 or 9.9.9.9.

update the firmware for your router

Or maybe the problem is with your wifi device.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Having Wi-Fi dropout issues with my Nighthawk R7000 router, in dire need of help.

I will try change the DNS settings, the router is updated to the latest and don't think there's an issue with the router itself or the devices I am connecting too.

0 Kudos