cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have I done a bad thing? 1GB New Customer

skibi
Joining in

I signed up for to Virgin last week and expecting the install next week. I was talking to the engineer that came around yesterday and he thinks I will be the first person in my town that has taken up the new FTTP offering. We are a small ish town and they have just completed a FTTP install.

I have a complex network due to working in tech and working from home. Currently I have my own router and a hand off is via a CPE provided by my current ISP.

My plan was to take the virgin CPE and put it into modem mode and connect it to my existing router so I can enable SD-WAN. Reading online I am seeing that the Hub5 X for XPON connections dose not support modem mode..

Does the Hub5X support modem mode? What are my options?

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@skibi wrote:

Does the Hub5X support modem mode? What are my options?

Not yet... but they are planning to roll it out "soon".  But there is no specific date set yet.  If modem mode is crucial for your work... you may better deferring the install until that option is in place and has been thoroughly tested by users on here.

ADDED

VM installations can be subject to time changes (they rely on sub-contractors)... so the standard advice on here is... do not cancel your current isp package until after VM is installed and running to your satisfaction.  Having two overlapping suppliers for a few weeks is a small price to pay to ensure continuity of connection

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

TableTop
Up to speed

The one other thing I would say, is that even though the Hub5x does lack a modem mode, and always remember the old adage “never purchase anything on the basis of what is ‘promised it will do’, but rather on what it does now”, that doesn’t preclude you from still running your own equipment.

Yes you will have a double-NAT issue, but that’s really only going to be an issue for unsolicited inbound connections and as you sound like you know what you are doing, you shouldn’t have any problems with working around that and making sure that the subnets on both sides of your router are different (as long as your internal subnet isn’t 192.168.0.0/24, you should be fine).

In the dim and distant past, when the Hub3 came out, it first also lacked modem mode, but it did have a ‘DMZ option’, where by if you specified an IP address on your LAN, it would forward any unsolicited inbound connections to that port. If that address was the ‘WAN’ address of your equipment, then it would effectively act as if it was in modem mode as far as your equipment was concerned. I don’t know if this feature exists on the 5x, but it should provide a suitable work around until or if modem mode is enabled.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi, skibi.
Thanks for joining our help forums and welcome to the VM community, a warm welcome on board! 🙂

We're sorry to hear you have issues with the hub 5x not having the modem feature available currently, to make sure, as you're not yet installed have we confirmed via email we'll send this specific type of hub or have you already received a hub 5x from us?

We're unable to advise on a date for this to change at the minute, however we'll update all hub 5x users once the modem mode becomes available.

In general, all our other hubs are modem mode capable, view more here.
Let us know if anything more we can help with and we're happy to offer support.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs