Menu
loopyloo71
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

HUGE Latency Variation in the day

image_2021-02-18_212219.png

At night from around 1am to 7am the connection is fine. During the day i am completely unable to game at all. This is very infuriating as i recently bought this service. (GIG1) I have multiple friends who also use Virgin Media and they have no such problem. I am directly connected to the router with a CAT8 cable and a dedicated PCI-E Gigabit card. 

Unless this issue is fixed i may have to leave for another provider despite not wanting to lose the fantastic download speeds.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: HUGE Latency Variation in the day

your image hasn't been approved yet, but it sounds very much like an overutilisation issue (flat graph during the night - big, constant bump during the day with lots of yellow and red to the top of the graph).

if that is the case then there's not much you can do about it unfortunately - check out this useful summary from @andruser

loopyloo71
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

loopyloo71_0-1613763455119.png

it is even worse than it was the previous day.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

unfortunately not much to add over my previous post. 

there was another post today that had a similar graph - VM have responded there and said that there's no overutilisation ticket for that user's area - the poster in that thread spoke to CS by phone and VM is apparently sending an engineer to investigate - i am sceptical that there will be a different fault, but /shrug who knows. 

might be worth calling it through and seeing what CS have to say about it - probably also worth keeping an eye on that thread too.. 🙂

loopyloo71
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am going to call them first thing in the morning. Either they will tell me the area is OU* or they will send an engineer out to fix the "problem". Either way due to the clause in my contract this is considered a technical fault i believe, that has to be fixed within 30 days or i can leave my contract without penalty.

0 Kudos
loopyloo71
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

UPDATE: I have called virgin media few times and when i mention network over utilization and packet loss they all said the same thing "our systems have just crashed they have been working fine all day, please call back tomorrow" it seems they know this is an issue and are trying to silence this. If this issue is not fixed before 13th march i will not be paying my bill and will be invoking my right to cancel the contract due to a fault that is not being fixed within 30 days. Absolutely disgusting from VM trying to silence this..

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Whatever you do do not stop your direct debit. It will result in VM transferring your "debt" to a collection agency and a black mark on the credit file that will be an absolute pain to get removed.

Call in and dont mention OU just describe the fault and ask for the Tech visit and see what the Tech says - they will almost certainly know and tell you whether there is an OU issue in your location - or they will fix the fault.

Than take it from there.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It’s not a fault though.

The most you can do is ask them to invoke the speed guarantee and if you don’t meet the minimum speeds during the specified time period, then you can leave penalty free.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos