Menu
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

HUB4 Wifi Problems

Is anybody else having issues with intermittent wifi on the new Hub4? We've had issues ever since we upgraded from the Hub3 where wifi was never an issue, but despite multiple reboots, factory resets, and on/off's the problems persists. Every few minutes the wifi drops out and it's driving us crazy! Any ideas?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: HUB4 Wifi Problems

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

If you remove all the internal walls, water, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from an ISP Hub.

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, fish tanks, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwaves ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yup - welcome to the “upgraded” Hub4.

Put it into modem mode with your own router or mesh system and all your troubles will be gone. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yep, looks like I will be going that way too Mike. The most annoying thing about this situation is that the Hub4 was sold to us as being much better in all areas than the Hub3 we already had, especially with regard to Wi-Fi. But clearly that's just not the case. The new hub has been much much worse than the Hub3 for Wi-Fi. I was pretty happy with VM before this experience, very disappointing and so unnecessary. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

To be fair the hub3 WiFi wasn’t the best to begin with either. And the Hub4 is notoriously worse for some if not most users. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

In laboratory conditions it may be better than the Hub 3 for Wi-Fi, the problem being is we don't live in those kinds of conditions.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi MikeRobbo 

thanks for info regarding Hub4 nearly organised one on contract. Once again thanks and thanks very much to vm customer service for not answering my numerous texts and online requests to upgrade to Hub4

0 Kudos