Menu
scurrminator
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

HUB3 WiFi connection intermittent

Hi

We have been having intermittent wifi issues for a long while now. The connection to the hub remains however we lose all connectivity to the internet. I have tried many resets of the HUB (both soft resets and factory ones) and this doesn't resolve the issue. Proximity to the HUB also has no bearing on whether or not the issue occurs.

Note that this doesn't seem to affect wired connections and is a wifi issue only.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/ea358a1bd588bd49b897b1b3c162770a72... 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
lotharmat
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: HUB3 WiFi connection intermittent

Can you Split the 2.4 and 5G bands and turn off smart WiFi?
You can split the WiFi bands by accessing your hub settings - to do this, you'll need to be connected to your hub and type in 192.168.0.1 into your web browser. You;ll then need to enter your hub's setting password (this can be found on the bottom of the hub).

Once you've access the dashboard, you'll need to go to advanced settings and then wireless - security. From there, you just need to change the SSIDs of both the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz signal to different names, you can just add on 2G and 5G to the end of the current network name.

Hit Save and then it should work!

Bear in mind that you'll have to reconnect all of your devices to the new SSIDs

Also have a look at what interference there is around from other routers (download a WiFi analyser app - see if there is any serious congestion)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
scurrminator
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have done this now; will monitor the outcome.

0 Kudos
Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @scurrminator 

Thank you so much for this and I'm so sorry to hear this has happened. 

Can I ask how things are looking today? 

Thank you.

Ash_C
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
scurrminator
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi

unfortunately the issue is still present.

Nick

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (not “boosters”). Pods are free customers on 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages others will be charged £5/month and right now they dont have enough supplies to provide them to everyone so now there is a wait list.

And at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever and which will cure all your wifi problems.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scurrminator, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your broadband services looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to look into this for you. 

I have already taken the time to check your services on my end, however I couldn't find any sort of red flags that could explain your intermittent connection issue.

But I did find some issues with your in-home WIFI set up, mainly with coverage issues around the house. 

Usually this kind of WIFI issue is caused by congestion on the WIFI bands, if one or more devices are on the wrong WIFI channel (2.4ghz & 5.0ghz) it can cause congestion which materialises as intermittent connection and slow speeds. 

• 2.4ghz - This channel is more suitable for low impact devices, so things like mobile phones, tablets, in-home PA systems etc. The things that don't need a huge amount of bandwidth to work effectively. 2.4ghz has a lower capacity, but it's signal reach has a wide radius, so even if you go upstairs it will still be able to connect (unless you live in a mansion! lol)
  • 5.0ghz - This is a channel for the more heavy hitter devices like PC's, Consoles and laptops that you may use for gaming, streaming and other heavy usage. 5.0ghz has a smaller signal radius, but it's capacity is much better. The radius can be boosted by using our WIFI pods so even if you have a PC in another room, you can still connect to 5.0ghz.

In order to keep congestion in check, you'll need to follow the steps on this link - Changing Wifi Channels - this will show you how to change them if any devices are on the wrong band. Please have a go and we'll see if the slow speeds improves over the next few days 🙂

Just for future issues with the TV and for any other users that are looking at this thread for TV help, I have a few links below that might help with general issues - 

• Our Service Checker is a good tool to use to check if there are any area outages ongoing with Broadband, TV, Landline and Mobile. It usually lets you know what is wrong and how long it's going to take for the engineers to fix (estimated time of course)
  • Your Online Account also has a good tool which helps diagnose a fault within your home network with your Broadband, TV and Landline, it will tell you what's up and what to do next. 
  • We also have a good section for faults on our website here - Help Website - it will give you flows for diagnosing and rectifying faults on a multitude of aspects. A really good link to bookmark!  

Please let me know how it goes. 

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos