cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUB 5 issues with internet connection.

Matt_88
Tuning in

Hello.

I've recently swapped from HUB3 to HUB5 as was suggested by Virgin. 

I was using HUB3 for last 2 years and never had any issues with my connection at all.

Since new HUB5 was installed the issues started. 

On all my devices WiFi reception is showing good reception as I live in 2-bedroom flat so no issues there.

But it looks like there is no internet. When someone text me on WhatsApp let's say i would not receive the messages at all until i open browser on my phone. Exactly the same happens on my tablet and my wife's phone. 

I'm using echo dot with Alexa and app is showing Alexa has internet but when I call the echo dot connection not going through. I've got also fire stick to watch YT and Netflix and again to load any movie it takes good 2-5minutes and then is ok. 

Ive got two PC's wire connected and they are facing same issues. So, I believe this is not a problem with the WiFi ?

I've been on WhatsApp chat with VM two times and they said they can see issue with connection, went through the steps; restarting and resetting router, they promised me will be all good after 24h but nothing has improved at all. Apparently, last time someone book a technician to come but no details were given to me ?

On top of that, when new HUB5 arrived, it had obvious signs of being used in the past, was all dusty, stickers were peeled of, minor scratches.  It is possible I was given "secondhand" router which is potentially faulty ?

Screenshot 2022-08-27 135211.pngScreenshot 2022-08-27 135614.pngScreenshot 2022-08-27 135649.png

7 REPLIES 7

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
I secondhand hub 5 already? Are you sure its not a hub 4?

you can ask to go back to hub 3 or get your own router with 1Gb ports and put hub in modem mode should the Ethernet side of things be fine
---------------------------------------------------------------

Well, It look like second hand.

Ive uploaded pictures and you can see it is HUB 5 on them.

I'm sending logs also, they didn't uploaded on first post correctly. 

Im not really willing to buy additional devices and play with this. Why should I? If everything was working perfectly fine on HUB3 and I was given free upgrade to HUB5 to receive better experience.... But at the moment it is really annoying. Especially that fact my phone reception isn't best in my area and I rely on WiFi calling which isn't working properly at the moment. InkedScreenshot 2022-08-27 135614.jpgInkedScreenshot 2022-08-27 135649.jpg

Good Afternoon @Matt_88, thanks for your post on our Community Forums, and I'm sorry to hear of the issues you've been experiencing with the Hub 5.

I've been able to look into the stats on our end, and there doesn't appear to be any issues flagging.

Have you, or can you possibly set up a broadband quality monitor so you're able to track the connection when it drops, or when latency is experienced?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

I'm still facing the issue. Spoken multiple times with VM over WhatsApp and I should have had technician coming three times but no one showed up !! Next visit is scheduled for 28th, lets see if anyone turns up finally !

Can I terminate contract with VM? This is over a month and VM seems not to be bothered at all. VM customer service is terrible, I'm asked each time to restart/reset my hub, which I have done like over 20 times and clearly that is not solving the problem. Finally I managed to get complain logged, since then I had two missed visits from them. I was told I have to pay £25 fee if I miss the visit what about them ? I purposely have taken day off or swapped my shift to be at home but they aren't bothered !

Ive set the BQM and these are last three days. Looks like I haven't hat internet for like an hour last night and significant number of dropped packets this morning.

Matt_88_0-1664185342026.png

I dont think these latency spikes are normal?? Few red dots indicating dropped packages also.

Matt_88_2-1664185451795.png

Thats from 21st September:

Matt_88_3-1664185617890.png

Hi @Matt_88

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the thread. 

I am sorry to hear it's still ongoing but please do let us know how the visit goes. 

There are many reasons why a tech visit wouldn't happen, for example, area issues, or it's a virtual tech slot so not a tech visit to the property.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hello.

My point is. I'm forced to be at home at this time and VM can say it may come or may not. Where is the logic ? And if I'm not at home I will get fine of £25. What's a point of giving slots which VM can't hold to?

It is 11:25am and no one showed up until now, slot was 8am to 12pm, so another missed visit ?

Hi Matt, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this. 

If a timeslot for a virtual engineer is booked, you're still required to be at home as the engineer would contact you and run the checks remotely. If you're not at home, the checks cannot be done. 

When a physical engineer booking is made, if this is cancelled due to an area fault, or we can see the issue may be resolved, you would receive a text advising the visit has been cancelled and the reason why. 

Checking things this end, the visit was completed. Did an engineer come to the house and what was the result of the visit? 

Let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs