Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

HUB 3 IP Address

EeeE

Hello,

Just had my hub 3 installed today, but have an issue with the standard static IP address this router uses. Unlike standard routers, or at least all those I've come across, this device uses 192.168.0.1 rather than 192.168.1.1. This has caused me a problem as I have come to figure out that I cannot access this router on my existing static IP based network. I can change that static IP address of the connected PC's to use a zero rather than a one in the third IP address field and then I can see the Virgin router. However, my NAS and media streamer devices are still inaccessible and I really do not want to mess around with those.

I assume that if I were to change those devices static IP address to follow the same changes as described above. For example, my NAS is on 192.168.1.100 and I change this to 192.168.0.100, then I ought to have no further issues. However, to avoid changing all connected devices static IP addresses etc, is there a way to change the router to reside on 192.168.1.1?

Or, for those network guru's out there, is there a smarter way to have everything on the same network?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: HUB 3 IP Address

change the IP range in the DHCP settings on the hub
"DHCPv4"

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

You can't use 192.168.1.X as it's reserved for the Guest Network (whether you enable it or not).

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the prompt reply, but I use static IP addresses so am not using DHCP.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

OK. So, if I change all my static IP addresses on my network devices to follow the 192.168.0.x form, will that fix my issue?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Yes. Or you can use any other range on the hub apart from 192.168.1.x and 192.168.100.x

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@raotorraotor wrote:
Thanks for the prompt reply, but I use static IP addresses so am not using DHCP.

and now you've found out why doing that is a bad idea!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@spgray wrote:

@raotorraotor wrote:

and now you've found out why doing that is a bad idea!

There's nothing wrong with static IP's - providing the router supports the range you're using.

Again, modem mode and another router will help with that

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

static IPs are fine, but it's usually a better idea to set them from within the DHCP server, rather than phsyically setting them on the device itself.

doing it that way means you don't lose access to the devices should the DHCP server change and default to a different IP range.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Actually most people would tend to do it the other way around and set the IP on the device rather than the router/DHCP server that's how it should be done anyway in best practices.

Especially in a work environment at the very least.

0 Kudos