Menu
sandrawilliams
On our wavelength
Message 31 of 37
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: HUB 3.0 Reports Access Denied Error

nowhere on this page... https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation does it say that compensation is capped at 60 quid. You guys are saying that we either accept £60 or take nothing and we have to go to ofcom. What kind of attitude is that? We have been paying cable customers for TWENTY TWO YEARS. We must literally have been within the first few households in this road to sign up to cabletel back in 1997. Beta Testers for V+ TIVO and High speed broadband.... i could go on and on. Why would we protest now after 22 years of custom unless we felt legitimately slighted by all of this nonsense. Do you think we have nothing better to do. At this point it is purely a matter of principle.

Finally regarding outages... the service checker page showed that all services were fine in our area. It was only individual people and prerecorded messages telling us there was a general outage. Clearly lies.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 32 of 37
Flag for a moderator

@sandrawilliams wrote:
Finally regarding outages... the service checker page showed that all services were fine in our area. It was only individual people and prerecorded messages telling us there was a general outage. Clearly lies.

"Area" is geographically meaningless in VM-speak.  It refers to "legacy billing areas.  E.g., I am in area 20 in Manchester as are others here - who are in London, Sussex & Surrey.  What that means is that the Area checker webpage only reports problems affecting >1000's of users.  Local problems affecting just a few households - e.g. a cut cable, street cabinet issue, etc., wont be reported there.  It may/will be on the "local service checker telephone number" - but only when sufficient people have reported it and VM makes the "connection".

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
sandrawilliams
On our wavelength
Message 33 of 37
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

and so it continues...

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for coming back to me.

Judging by your response and the posts in the thread it seems that the £60.00 offering isn't to your satisfaction.

I would have to advise that the notes on the account would advise that with the tests that we're ran to see if we we're providing you with a broadband connection during this period do state that there was not a complete loss of service, this is the clearest indicator of this;

17/09/19 VMSTRSAR25 Telephony Start SAR Prf -

WORK ORDER 8201840 OPEN FOR 10 DAY(S) FROM 07-09-2019 HAS BEEN ASSESSED FOR VM AUTOMATIC COMPENSATION SCHEME AND DID NOT RESULT IN LIABILITY FOR TOTAL LOSS OF SERVICE CREDIT.

A complete loss of service, in accordance with Ofcom's guidelines, would advise that a customer has absolutely usage on their account with our services being supplied to the hub. If this surpasses the 48 hour mark, then the customer is entitled to a credit.

I will pass this to my manager, who will be in contact with you, they may well offer you the £60.00, then again it may be a case of advising that we cannot issue any credit for this fault.

Kindest regards,

David

------------------

and here is my response....

------------------

There was absolutely ZERO service and total lack of usability.  The hub itself reported ACCESS DENIED error in capital red letters for the entirety of this complaint.  It does not matter what tests you claim to have run. Nobody even answered the phone to us for several days so when exactly were these tests run. Furthermore on the phone call made on 7th of September your operator told us that we would automatically accrue compensation from that point forward.  PLEASE listen to this call and tell me that I am lying. The hub was denied access to your network and therefore the internet for 14 days.  How do you arrive at the figure of £60? Please explain as my A level mathematics fails to comprehend what combination of whole numbers from the available options of 8 and 25 were used to arrive at this figure.  If you can explain this calculation as per your stated compensation scheme on your own web pages then I will be more inclined to accept it....

I look forward to being contacted by your manager.  Do you have contact details for the person responsible?  I look forward to submitting a Subject Access Request so that I can receive a copy of all voice recordings held by yourselves in relation to this matter.  The fact that we are even debating this is beyond ridiculous.  We would quite happily have accepted compensation of £8 per day x 12 days.   Your attempts to lowball us after telling us this would be calculated and applied automatically is quite frankly outrageous and disgusting.  

0 Kudos
sandrawilliams
On our wavelength
Message 34 of 37
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

This roughly translates as "take the derisory sum we are offering you without any explanation of its calculation or take nothing". Fortunately £60 is not a life changing amount of money.  Next stop social media and Ofcom.  I wonder how many thousands of eyeballs will come across this complaint  on facebook, youtube et al as Virgin strive to save themselves £36 from their own compensation scheme?
0 Kudos
sandrawilliams
On our wavelength
Message 35 of 37
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

In a presumably final disturbing twist it appears that the onus is now on the customer to constantly monitor their downtime and record their findings.  If you cannot definitively prove that broadband did not reconnect at some point during your loss of service then you are not eligible for any compensation whatsoever under the OFCOM auto compensation scheme. 

The simplest way to do this would be to have a PC connected to the virgin network continually sending out pings or tracert requests to virginmedia.com and record all of it.  This seems a little unrealistic for most people but I shall prepare such a script for the future and make it freely available to all Virgin customers here who have suffered loss of service for an unreasonable amount of time so that they can prove with hard evidence that the outage was total and not just intermittent.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 36 of 37
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Actually, its what a lot of people on here do routinely.
Set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of the connection and records any dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the logs and in any discussions with VM (just make sure the “ignore ping from WAN side” box in the settings is unchecked).

Roger showed you his in message 18.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
sandrawilliams
On our wavelength
Message 37 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Useful sounding tool for sure.  Having never had any issues in over 20 years with cable other than perhaps an hour or two a year (if that) I have never felt the need to install such software.  Going forward I certainly will.  Pleased to say that Ramon has just agreed on an £80 compensation which whilst not perfect is a far better deal for my mother. I must say that it was refreshing to finally speak to somebody helpful.  I will reiterate that our family have been very satisfied cable customers for many many years. I have referred dozens of people to them over the years - basically anybody who has the option is told go with cable, not BT/adsl/FTH etc.  Whilst I have trolled this thread hard to keep it alive I have only done so because we felt genuinely slighted by the whole process and I would not wish for others to have to go to such efforts to get somebody to answer the phone or to help them with their problems.  Thanks once again to Ramon and all others who have attempted to be helpful. Jbrennand keep up the good work. Users such as yourselves contribute greatly to such forums.

Thanks again chaps.

Case Closed.

0 Kudos