Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

HUB 3.0 - Cannot access website hosted internally

Hello all,

I am hosting my website internally on Synology NAS. I am not able to access it from my desktop, connected through Ethernet cable, from my laptop and mobile, connected through Wi-Fi. I am able to access it from my mobile 4G network and from other devices from the 'outside' world.

Any ideas why?

I have contacted VM technical support, but they didn't have a clue.

Thanks and regards,

Izvorski

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: HUB 3.0 - Cannot access website hosted internally

DNS (it's always DNS!)

What URL are you using to access the website? I believe the VM Hub doesn't support NAT Reflection (or NAT loopback), so if you want to hot it using the same URL as you do from the 'outside world' then you'll need an internal DNS server with an authoritative zone for that particular domain name.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi, jem101,

thank you for the quick reply. The URL is removed, it is only a free template at the moment.

I haven't got a clue how to do this internal DNS server, any idea?

Thank you!

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Hyperlink removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I didn't actually intend for you to post the URL in the public forum since if anyone pings it, it gives away your public IP address, I just wanted you to think about how the name resolves to an IP address, my mistake really, I wasn't clear enough - you have some time to edit the post and remove it.

Anyhow - it works like this, if I ping that address (lets call it www.mysite.com) it resolves to a particular WAN IP address let's say a.b.c.d. Now from the outside world if I enter www.mysite.com into a web browser, it sends of a DNS lookup request and eventually returns a.b.c.d - that points back to your WAN address and (presumably) you have your Hub forwarding port 80 to your Synology right!

What happens if you enter www.mysite.com from a machine already on the internal network? Well the same thing happens and your machine gets the external IP address returned, but - and this is a bit of an oversimplification - the connection gets confused, you're already at a.b.c.d. Basically the VM Hub doesn't support a technology called NAT loopback which realizes that the destination web server (in your case) is actually on the internal network and 'reflects' the connection back.

From the inside you need to hit the internal, private IP address of the NAS - lets say 192.168.0.101. So two options, either you need an internal DNS server which understands the domain in question (myside.com) and has a host entry for www pointing to 192.168.0.101 or add an entry to the host file on your laptop which does the same thing. Problem with the latter option is that it'll break if you use that laptop on the outside - you won't resolve the name properly.

Oh and lastly, if you are spinning up a website and expect people to sign in and have an account - you absolutely have to be using SSL and get all the third-party trusted certificates in place.