cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP - ASUS router RT-AX82U great 5ghz signal but rubbish 2.4ghz signal

geewalt1
On our wavelength

I recently bought the ASUS RT-AX82U router and have a fantastic signal with the 5ghz but the 2.4ghz signal is constantly dropping throughout the day.

I've contacted ASUS support and shared my Wireless log and they indicated it is due to wireless  interference.  They suggested changing channels and the channel bandwidth to 20Mhz.  I've tried all this and I still experience multiple drops of signal throughout the day.  Every time I change the channel/reboot/restart the router the 2.4ghz signal works again but this can range from only a couple of mins to a few hours but it will eventually drop again.  

I've used a wifi analyzer on both my phone and pc and both indicate the signal strength ranges from -20dbm to -67dBm, depending how far I am from the router.  There are no other wireless devices next to the router to create interference.  I also log into channels when there are no other wifi networks connected to that channel but again this makes little difference.

I'm connected to the Router via the Virgin superhub3 and this is set to Modem mode.  

I have tried multiple restarts with both the Modem and Router but the 2.4 still plays up.  Like I said the 5ghz signal works a treat.

Reading other forums I've tired a Guest network, disabled the WIFI 6 mode under the 2.4 signal but again none of these have made a difference.

If I revert back to the Superhub3 both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz signals work ok but the 5ghz doesn't reach my son's bedroom or provide a strong enough signal to the back of the house.  This is one of the reasons why I bought the router to help boost the signal and the Asus router definitely achieved that on the 5ghz signal.

Has anyone got any suggestions at what I can do to avoid the constant dropping of the 2.4ghz signal?

Thanks in advance.

40 REPLIES 40

Hi Gary, 

I think we've resolved the issue.

It appears to be my son's PS4 that is causing the disruption to the signal.

He's changed the DNS settings and now the 2.4ghz signal has been more stable. I did Google if the PS4 can cause WiFi issues and there are quite a few posts that mention it does.

Will continue to monitor and fingers crossed it works.

Thanks for your support.

@geewalt1 wrote:

Hi Gary, 

I think we've resolved the issue.

It appears to be my son's PS4 that is causing the disruption to the signal.

He's changed the DNS settings and now the 2.4ghz signal has been more stable. I did Google if the PS4 can cause WiFi issues and there are quite a few posts that mention it does.

Will continue to monitor and fingers crossed it works.

Thanks for your support.

That’s an interesting one.

I know you didn’t get a reply to your post on the SNBForum but it might be worth updating that post there as well with the outcome and seeing if it triggers anyone to respond. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Hi, 

Did changing the PS4 settings finally resolve your 2.4ghz speed issues? I'm having the exact same problems and also have a PS4 in the house. 

If it did help can you remember more specifically what you changed on the PS4 settings?

Thanks

Lee

Hello Leeevanga

Sorry to hear of the broadband issues and problems with your wireless network, we appreciate yo taking the time to post this via our forums.

From looking at your account and connection there isn't anything that stands out as being out of range or spec that may be causing the issue. From the post your referring to it looks as though they have changed the DNS settings on the console itself, as this is third party equipment we're unable to advise further on this or how to do it.

If you still require assistance we have these tips available to help with broadband issues:

Thanks 

Rob

Hi, my son changed the DNS settings to 8888 on both the primary and secondary settings in the PS4..

I did have to replace the router as I think think the first one was a bit dodgy. Even after changing the settings it was unreliable.

The 2nd also experienced the interference until we changed the DNS settings and it's been fine ever since.

Plenty of videos on YouTube showing you how to change the settings of you're not sure how to change them.

Fingers crossed it works for you.

Ideal thanks for replying so quickly. I'll give a go at changing the DNS settings first and see how it plays out.

Hoping I don't have to return my router to Amazon as well.

Kind regards

Lee

Thanks for the update greewalt1 and glad to hear this has helped improve the wireless connection. To be honest it's not something we would have thought of immediately but wireless networks can be effected in numerous ways by many different factors.

If you need us again in the future, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Rob

The 2nd router has been perfect around the house so glad I stuck with it.

I think I did a hard reset of the router after I changed my son's PS4 settings. A little annoying but you may want to try that too.

Looks like I might need to get a replacement, my PS4 is on the 5ghz network so I assume the custom DNS won't help. Could be another device on the 2.4 band as I have plenty unfortunately.

Could try a factory default as a last resort but really don't fancy it haha

Thanks anyway

I had really horrible experience with 2.4GHz network on my RT-AX82U as well. I have only a few old 2.4GHz "g" standard devices left: PS3 and Nintendo Wii. They had been refusing to connect to my Asus router directly. PS3 Internet connection test used to pass only IP obtaining  procedure but it failed to connect to Internet and PSN. 

2a.jpg

What was interesting, connecting these devices indirectly though an external access point or a repeater to my RT-AX82U solved the problem.

5a.jpg

However, you don't buy a $250 router and still be forced to use external devices to connect your old hardaware. I contacted Asus support on the issue and included some screen shots displaying the problem. After usual "change the network settigs" babbling, which was not helpful at all, they sent me a link to some beta firmware. This finally has solved the issue.

Asus beta.png

I will place the link here. I hope it will help you too.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/8afe69097b6ce138435799837d38711f20220105132434/814b04

This is a beta firmware so I am not responsible for any damage or issues applying it may cause to you.